Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris vs Linux Security
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Solaris vs Linux Security Post 60757 by pressy on Friday 21st of January 2005 08:55:27 AM
Old 01-21-2005
Solaris vs Linux Security

have a look:

http://www.softpanorama.org/Solaris/...cutive_Summary

gP

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Linux Security help..! Thanks

I am newer to Linux/Unix/RedHat etc... I run a Linux root server with some 55 domain names, about 3 months ago the server was exploited. I need some good advice as far as Firewell's go and getting everything up and running. It was a pain in my *** and cost a lot of time and money.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denveraccess
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux security

Hi all. I'm so new to Linux I don't even know where to start. I'm running sles 9 and I've had it up for 2 days now. I'd like to start with information on how to secure my server. I want to use it for hosting my personal web site and email eventually. Does anyone know of a good site that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jreid08
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 security

Hi all, I have some questions for you about Solaris 9 security (if you also know the answers for Red Hat enterprise linux 3 et HP UX 11i, this would help too). I have already found many documents about general UNIX security, but some points are still obscure. Please take time to try to help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaclof
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Unix/Solaris security?

Hello Admins, I just have a curious question on unix passwords... As unix passwords are encrypted, so any hacker can took those passwds from etc/shadow and decrypt them using any algorithms....and using decryption, he can get the passwd and easily get into the system..... so how can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
grub(5) 																   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transfer- ring control to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain-loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbitrary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) http://www.gnu.org/software/grub 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)