Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc command help.... and other unix command....... urgent Post 60717 by dashi2k on Thursday 20th of January 2005 05:26:05 PM
Old 01-20-2005
wc command help.... and other unix command....... urgent

hi all. thanks for looking

i am doing some homework.

one question is that when type
wc
and then how to tell the program that we have finished entering data?

also
why do some operating systems report 22 as the number of bytes in the file above, while others only 20?

thanks so much, any help is greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bosskr
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help using sed command(very urgent)

Hi all, Actually i want to delete the .ps extension from package1.ps string by using sed. Can any body tell me that how shell i do it????????? It is very urgent. Can anybody help me. I am trying to do this in the following way. ps_file="package1.ps" echo $ps_file sed s/.ps//g $ps_file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

very urgent---mailx command

plsssssss help me i m getting maid. i fired below commands while do sso=501688351 echo "Hi ," >> file_send; mailx -c manoj.dahiya1@ge.com -s " mail checking" $sso@mail.ad.ge.com < file_send cas=num done now i am getting mails every seconds... plsssss help me , how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Command Urgent Help!

Hi All, i am new on this forum, can someone please answer the following questions as i am also new for UNIX, you help would be much appreciated: 1. How do you delete the full directory hierarchy? 2. How do you find out all process run by user Kamran ? 3. how would you extract something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kami151
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT HELP: problem with mv command

I was trying to move a file to a particular directory. In a hurry i forgot to give the dest directory, as below mv prod.log The file disappeared. :confused: Any idea where it might have moved??? And I have tried moving files based on date from one directory to another as below.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify an entire UNIX command as a command line argument

I'm trying to write a bash script called YN that looks like the following YN "Specify a question" "doThis" "doThat" where "doThis" will be executed if the answer is "y", otherwise "doThat". For example YN "Do you want to list the file dog?" "ls -al dog" "" Here's my attempt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies
ncheck(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 ncheck(8)

NAME
ncheck - lists i-number or tag and path name for files in a local file system. SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ncheck [-i numbers] [-asm] file_spec [file_spec...] PARAMETERS
Specifies one or more file systems. Specify any file system by entering its full path name or its mount point. The full path name is the name entered in the file-spec field of the file system's entry in the /etc/fstab file. The mount point is the name entered in the mnt_point field of the file system's entry in the /etc/fstab file. You can also specify a UFS file system by entering the name of its device special file. For example: /dev/disk/dsk3c. You can also specify an AdvFS fileset by entering the name of the file domain, a pound sign (#) character, and the name of the file- set. For example: root_domain#root. FLAGS
Includes in the list the path names . (dot) and .. (dot dot), which are ordinarily suppressed. Lists only those files with the specified i-numbers (UFS) or tags (AdvFS). If you enter a zero (0) all allocated numbers will be displayed. Includes in the list the mode, UID, and GID of the files. To use this flag you must also specify either the -i or the -s flag on the command line. Lists only the special files and files with set-user-ID mode. DESCRIPTION
The ncheck command with no flags generates a list of all files on every specified file system. The list includes the path name and the corresponding i-number or tag of each file. Each directory file name in the list is followed by a /. (slash dot). Use the available flags to customize the list to include or exclude specific types of files. The files are listed in order by i-number or tag. To sort the list in a more useful format, pipe the output to the sort command. NOTES
The term file_spec represents either a UFS file system or an AdvFS fileset. To uncover concealed violations of security policy, that is, the inappropriate use of the set-user-ID mode, issue the command with the -s flag to list only special files and files with set-user-ID mode. RESTRICTIONS
You must be the root user to use this command. The ncheck command checks the /etc/fstab file for the specified domain and file system entry. If there is no entry in /etc/fstab for the specified file system, an error message is displayed to indicate that the file does not exist. DIAGNOSTICS
When the file system structure is improper, ?? (question mark question mark) denotes the parent of a parentless file. A path name begin- ning with ... (dot dot dot) denotes a loop. ERRORS
The ncheck command can be used only for checking local file systems. The "nnn" string identifies the file system type. FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
sort(1), quot(8). delim off ncheck(8)