Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between UNIX and Linux Post 60568 by locustfurnace on Tuesday 18th of January 2005 10:38:40 PM
Old 01-18-2005
A very handy reference is called the Unix Rosetta Stone. This lists side-by-side my similar actions on various *nix OS's, comparing their commands.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference Between Unix and Linux Envoriment

This may/may not be a long answer to a short question. I am learning the C programming language at home.I have seen some good books on the UNIX programming enviroment.However, there were a few books that hinted towards the Linux programming enviroment.Is there any difference between the two as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perrylx
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux?

Ok, I'm confused. Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me? 1. What is the difference between unix and linux? 2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution? 3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux OR Unix Whats The Difference!

What is the difference bettween linux and unix? Sorry but I am really new to this! :confused: Also are they BOTH free :-D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesthemagicia
1 Replies

5. AIX

difference between AIx and Linux and Unix

Sir , Can any body explain the difference between linux , Unix and AIx on command Reference all the command on AIx and unix is same or not please reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arif185
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in unix vs. linux sort

Hi, I am using some codes that have been ported from unix to linux, and now the sorting no longer results in the desired ordering. I'm hoping to find a way to mimic the unix sort command in linux. The input file is structured the following: $> cat file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj.schaeffer
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies
Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution::Packages - list all packages on various Linux distributions SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution::Packages qw(distribution_packages distribution_write); $linux = new Linux::Distribution::Packages({'format' => 'csv', 'output_file' => 'packages.csv'}); $linux->distribution_write(); # Or you can (re)set the options when you write. $linux->distribution_write({'format' => 'xml', 'output_file' => 'packages.xml'}); # If you want to reload the package data $linux->distribution_packages(); DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that uses Linux::Distribution to guess the linux distribution and then uses the correct commands to list all the packages on the system and then output them in one of three formats: native, csv, and xml. Distributions currently working: debian, ubuntu, fedora, redhat, suse, gentoo, slackware, redflag. The module inherits from Linux::Distribution, so can also use its calls. EXPORT None by default. TODO
* Add the capability to correctly get packages for all recognized distributions. * Seperate out parsing from writing. Parse data to hash and give access to hash. Then write the formatted data from the hash. AUTHORS
Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.10.1 2006-04-19 Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)