Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: console error message
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers console error message Post 6033 by 98_1LE on Tuesday 28th of August 2001 04:45:31 PM
Old 08-28-2001
Strange. Just a wild guess, assuming you can log in as root on the console (may have to go single user), check to see if there is a /var/adm/utmpx file. If not I would touch one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ttymon error and console login

I have a Solaris 8 server and when I try to log into the console, after I enter the username and password, I get the message "ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console. There may be another session active on this port". Then when I try to log in again on the console or any of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Error while adding a new user using Solaris Management Console.

Hi All, I am adding a new user by using Solaris Manamement Console after Remotely Access through Xmanager 1.3.9. But after completing all steps its through an error as follows. The Actual Error Reported was : The management Domain file :/abc/abc do not exist or can not be managed on abc. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: response_manu
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console message from Crontab run

I run my nightly backup thru a crontab job. Is there any way to get the message to mount a new tape to the console? Currently it appears to go to an email. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixhelp
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Error alert keep showing at console

Hi, I would like to ask for your help. I tried to log in through console to my server HP-UX 10.20 but I keep receiving error message as below: Vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace -/dev/vg02/lvol6 file system full Vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg02/lvol9 file system full How should I stop this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeazas
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send console message to all users and tty

Hi people, i tried to search in the forum... but didnt found the answer... Sometimes i need to send a console message to all users in all tty, like reboot or shutdown does... But i cant find how to do that. Someone know? Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

WRITE a message in console

Hi all, I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script. Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one.. #! /bin/ksh write user12 << EOF Hello World <<EOF For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stop the message on the console

Hi, Sun Solaris. I am working on the console, I have pulled the network cable out. I am in the process of changing the IP address and few others thing. But this message comes every few seconds. SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? It's very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change banner message for console login?

Hi All, Whenever I login to server via console, after providing username (root) it displays a banner message. I want to remove this message Serverabc : root Welcome to Server !!! Password: It is Centos 5.4 box. I have checked /etc/issue and /etc/motd. It does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
utmpx(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  utmpx(4)

NAME
utmpx - utmpx database storage file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
File contains user accounting information for all users logged onto the system. This file will be used instead of the file, which is being depreciated. The following information is stored in the file: - User login name (up to 24 characters) - /etc/lines id - device name (console, lnxx) - process id - type of entry - exit status of a process marked as DEAD_PROCESS - the time the entry was made - Internet address of host, if remote The current version of HP-UX updates both and files and formats. Direct use of file is not recommended, because and files must be updated simultaneously. This functionality is provided by libc APIs and FILES
AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), who(1), write(1), acctcon(1M), fwtmp(1M), utmpd(1M), getut(3C), getuts(3C), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
utmpx(4)