Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements IBM Releases 500 Software Patents Post 60194 by locustfurnace on Wednesday 12th of January 2005 07:51:07 PM
Old 01-12-2005
Who are we supposed to then feel sorry for? The IRS- for lost "revenues," or for the Big Company's?
Personally, I feel if the Big Company's do this for tax relief, thats great news for them. They spent the money developing the patents, the IRS did none except stick out their palms demanding people cough up money.

IBM has some 40k patents, them kicking out a mere 500, whether or not it will advance open source may be a good thing. IBM has been a strong supporter of LINUX development for sometime. It has definitely helped attract more eyeballs.

Big Blue, not the company it once was, still has set a strong historic mark on computing. They could be much more of a M$ than M$, if they had not released the PC architecture. Without IBM doing what they had, M$ would not be where they are today, since M$ only develops software.

Had Apple followed IBM, they may have gained a much stronger footing then they have today.

I wonder if the releasing of patents is a rub to SCO.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

how to find old software on IBM

Hi All, im trying to find some older versions of software due to a problem that i'm having after upgrading. namely. devices.sdd.43.rte ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 devices.fcp.disk.ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 devices.scsi.disk.ibm2105.rte version 32.6.100.18 Anyone any ideas... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djdavies
0 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring software on IBM AIX

Hi, I am looking for monitoring software like Zabbix, to run it on AIX server. I have many problems with Zabbix and MySQL installation on AIX. I dont have IBM XL C/C++ compiler. Has anyone know similar solution like Zabbix that works on IBM AIX? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbz
11 Replies
otl2pdb(1)						      General Commands Manual							otl2pdb(1)

NAME
otl2pdb - converts vimoutliner outline to AddressDB Palm file. SYNOPSIS
otl2pdb [filename] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the otl2pdb Perl script. otl2pdb is a perl(1) script that takes an outline from vimoutliner(1) with contact information and creates an AddressDB.pdb file for a Palm. For now this script can only create a .pdb file. You then have to use a syncing tool to load it into your Palm. I recommend the pilot- link package for linux. The format of the contact outline is the following: $category $record_name c:$cell a:$address .... You can have as many categories and records(entries) as you want. The following are valid fields for a record with the necessary text to indicate them in quotes: 'a:'-address 'c:'-cell 'e:'-email 'h:'-home phone 'n:'-note 'web:'-website 'w:'-work phone Also, each record's category is left as 'Unfiled' as I can't get the record's category to write correctly. SEE ALSO
vim(1), perl(1) REQUIREMENTS
This program uses the Palm::Address perl module, which is available on CPAN. TIPS
If using the pilot-link package: -load the pdb with 'pilot-xfer -i AddressDB.pdb' -specify the serial port if other than /dev/pilot (which will usually be the case unless you link to it) with -p in the above command; usually this is /dev/ttyS0 in linux AUTHOR
The original version was written by Gabriel Walker <cldwalker@chwhat.com>. If you like using perl, linux, vim and databases to make your life easier (not lazier ;) check out my website at http://www.chwhat.com. <http://www.chwhat.com> This manual page was written by Matej Cepl <matej@ceplovi.cz> (using perldoc(1) part of the documented script), for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). January 13, 2005 otl2pdb(1)