Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print Services for Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print Services for Unix Post 60183 by kjm on Wednesday 12th of January 2005 12:54:24 PM
Old 01-12-2005
Print Services for Unix

Hi,

Very new to Unix environment. Hopefully, this will be a quicky answer....I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, and everyone here is stumped.

We have a Unix 6 machine that runs our corporate software. We have users using Windows 2000 that telnet (J River) into the Unix system. Everything works fine. Print services for unix is checked on their machines, and they can print all they want.

The issue is when the user's machine is rebooted, we have to go in and "Uninstall" print services for unix, and the reinstall them. It seems we "loose" some setting somewhere when the workstation is rebooted.

Anyone have any clue or can give me a direction I should check out first? I know it sounds like a Microsoft issue, but they are basical no help.. Smilie

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Services On Unix

Greetings All, Telnet has stopped working on one of my servers and I need to restart it. But I don't know the command for it in UNIX. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmasters
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows Services for UNIX

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/ Download Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 (it is Free!) Did anyone use it? What can be ran? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Unix Services (Solaris 9)

Our systems group is asking if it would be Ok to turn off certain services due to potention security risks. The following are being contemplated. Service chargen daytime discard dtspcd echo exec finger fs gssd in.comsat kcms_server ktkt_warnd login name rpc.cmsd rpc.metad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List services running in UNIX

We have lost our Sys Admin and with the DST changes.. i need to make sure all services are re-started on a SUN server running SUNOS 5.9 How can i list what is running and make sure they are running after the DST patches are applied? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JanSP
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting & Stop print services in Unix

Hi There Kindly inform me on how to start and stop the print services in Unix from the command line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable/Enable HP print services SCO OS 5

We're running SCO Open Server 5. On occassion we need to disable/enable HP print services. There's nothing that I have found in the HP printer manager that allows for this. I know we can stop/start print services via SCOADMIN. On occassion one of our HP printers will generate an error, the msg in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sighbrrguy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix stopping the tcp services

Hi There We currently experiencing a problem on our Unix server Sco 5.07 , whereby the tcp services stops on it own and even if we restart the services manually the services still does not come up,We loose the printer and pc connections to the server we then need to restart the Unix server in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esh
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Services for Unix

I just installed Services for Unix on a Windows 2003 DC. I have a Debian box with Samba shares for our storage drive. I'm trying to test a Linux client. She is unable to read or write from the Samba shares. Her login is being mapped to the same name from NIS to AD. She can login from a windows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dawningtech
0 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix Services File

Hi all, I am fairly new to Unix/Linux, have been working on installattion for Tivoli Directory Services.The installation has a conflict with ports which is a known issue with the Directory Service. As per IBM the properties files can be changed to manually, for the Webadmin(Websphere) protal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdulhaindade
1 Replies
U9FS(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   U9FS(4)

NAME
u9fs - serve 9P from Unix SYNOPSIS
u9fs [ directory ] DESCRIPTION
U9fs is not a Plan 9 program. Instead it is a program that serves Unix files to Plan 9 machines using the 9P protocol (see intro(5)). It is to be invoked on a Unix machine by inetd with its standard input, output, and error connected to a network connection, typically TCP on an Ethernet. It runs as user root and multiplexes access to multiple Plan 9 clients over the single wire. It simulates Unix permissions itself by assuming Plan 9 uids match Unix login names. If a directory is specified u9fs first does a Unix chroot system call to that directory. Plan 9 calls this service 9fs with TCP service number 564 on the Ethernet. Set up this way on a machine called, say, kremvax, u9fs may be connected to the name space of a Plan 9 process by 9fs kremvax Due to a bug in some versions of the IP software, some systems will not accept the service name 9fs, thinking it a service number because of the initial digit. If so, run the service as u9fs or 564 and do the srv and mount by hand: srv tcp!kremvax!u9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!u9fs /n/kremvax For more information on this procedure, see srv(4) and bind(1). U9fs serves the entire file system of the Unix machine. It forbids access to devices because the program is single-threaded and may block unpredictably. Using the attach specifier device connects to a file system identical to the usual system except it permits device access (and may block unpredictably): srv tcp!kremvax!9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!9fs /n/kremvax device (The 9fs command does not accept an attach specifier.) Even so, device access may produce unpredictable results if the block size of the device is greater than 8192, the maximum data size of a 9P message. The source to u9fs is in the Plan 9 directory /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs. To install u9fs on a Unix system, copy the source to a directory on that system. Edit the makefile to set LOG to a proper place for a log file and to set the compile-time configuration correctly. Then com- pile with an ANSI C compiler and install in /usr/etc/u9fs. Install this line in inetd.conf: 9fs stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/u9fs u9fs and this in services: 9fs 564/tcp 9fs # Plan 9 fs SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to /tmp/u9fs.log. A compile-time flag enables chatty debugging. SEE ALSO
bind(1), srv(4), ip(3), nfsserver(8) BUGS
The implementation of devices is unsatisfactory. U9FS(4)