Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing Unix Prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Changing Unix Prompt Post 60042 by bhargav on Friday 7th of January 2005 02:30:12 PM
Old 01-07-2005
Quote:
PS1=' `pwd` `uname -n` # '
Above may not work if u put 'pwd'

Try this ....

export PS1=[`hostname`]'$PWD:> '

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the UNIX command prompt

I am having a hard time figuring out how to change the command prompt in my UNIX shell. I am using the bash shell, and I would like to set the prompt to show me the full path of the current working directory along with my username, I suppose... The main thing I want is the full path of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WERUreo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the prompt

Phew simple question, I want to display the my directory path in prompt. Did the following in .profile PS1=`pwd` export PS! Worked, but it always points to HOME directory. When i do a cd, it doesn't change. What am i missing. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Prompt in sh

I know no one has ever asked this before {not :D } but I am trying to set the prompt in the .profile under sh. I have tried everything I have seen on the web in regards to this, with no success. The OS is SCO Unixware 7.1.1, {not by my choice}. All the examples I see seem to be for ksh, which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcc5169
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Changing prompt

I currently have this as my prompt when I log in (shell is sh): PS1="`hostname ` # " My question is how do I add the current directory to that prompt? Is there a way? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in changing prompt

hi all, please tell me why this 2 liner script is not working!! #!/bin/bash oldps1="$PS1" PS1="myprompt>" but when type this in terminal it works!! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprayush
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing ubuntu prompt

Currently, when I cd to a directory I get the directory path in the command prompt, making it very long. I would like to change it so the path is not displayed. If I am in directory ~/tatsh/hstmy/test, I just want my prompt to be the last directory name as shown just below ---------- Post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing default prompt

Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to change the default prompt for the shells that are availble on your system? For example, i want to change the prompt for the C shell from % to something like ( or ). Thanks, Nav. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navs_
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the prompt in CSH

Need assistance in changing prompt . Trying to change prompt in csh,tcsh shell . Below are the commands i tried in .cshrc and sourcing this files. set prompt = "$user@`uname -n` : ${cwd}> " #above commands works for username and hostname but cwd doesnt change directories set... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
16 Replies
mdir(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mdir(1)

NAME
mdir - mtools utility to display contents of a DOS directory SYNOPSIS
mdir [-w] msdosdirectory mdir [-w] msdosfile [msdosfile...] OPTIONS
Specifies wide output. Enables file names to be displayed across the page without displaying the file size or creation date. DESCRIPTION
The mdir command lists the contents of a DOS directory. Unlike the DOS convention, multiple arguments are supported. If the component of the path is not a directory, an error occurs. The mdir command assumes a new disk if the current path held in the file is invalid. DOS subdirectory names that contain the '/' or '' separator are supported. If you use the '' separator or wildcards, you must enclose file names in quotes to protect them from the shell. The mcd command can be used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to DOS), otherwise the default is A:. RESTRICTIONS
The mdir command does not support the /P (pause) option. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Success. Failure. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mdir: If set, this variable names the file that contains the name of the cur- rent mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this variable is not set, the file $HOME/.mcwd is used. FILES
Contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this file does not exist, the default mtools working directory is A:. Executable file SEE ALSO
Commands: mcd(1), mtools(1) mdir(1)