Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automated Password Change
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Automated Password Change Post 60015 by saabir on Friday 7th of January 2005 04:05:38 AM
Old 01-07-2005
Automated Password Change

Hi All
I need to automate (execute from a script or loop on the command line) password changes on a number of UNIX boxes. I cannot use telnet since I have disabled this on all servers - and installed SSH.

I have root private/public keys setup so that I can login directly into the boxes non-interactively, hence I am looking for something like this:

ssh $hostname "/path/to/a/local/script"

Obviously that script can take username and password variables from a access restricted file on each host, or even specify these in the script itself. What I plan on doing is pushing the same script out to all servers and then executing it.

The problem is, as we all know, passwd is interactive, and I just cannot get it to read from stdin. I have tried:

passwd $username<<EOF
password
password
EOF

But this does not work.

The reason I need to use passwd is because the boxes are installed with a variety of UNIXes, so I need something that will work universally, and not something that relies upon OS specific tools.

Any ideas? Or anyone have any better ways to do this ( bearing in mind the solution must be cross-platform friendly).

Any help is much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can't change password

I have just upgraded one on my solaris 8 machine to solaris 9 the upgraded went fine and user have loging on successfully and authenticated user logon on nis successfully. My Nis master runs on solaris 8. my solaris 9 machine is configure as a Nis client and authenticated user successfully but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change password in one go

Hi all, I need to change the password of any user in one go. For example in Linux we have two options :- (echo "username:password") | chpasswd or echo $PASS | passwd $USER --stdin This changes the password without prompting. Actually, I need to make a script which adds a user and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automated SCP script passing password to preserve source file timestamp

Hi My requirement is i want to copy files from remote server to the local server and also i need to preserve the timestamp of the remote file. By using scp -p , it is working fine in the interactive call but it is not preserving he file timestamp when i use it in the non interactive scp call... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skumar75
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP without plaintext user/password in script

hi , i am a still beginner in unix and specially in ftp i've written this script but my admin asked me that he don't want to see in my ftp neither user neither password , so i've created .netrc file where in it i've put machine name , user and pass but still included in my script , so if someone... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Password Change

When I am trying to change the password of my account. I could see the following error: passwd: Changing password for ramu Enter existing login password: passwd: Sorry: less than 14 days since the last change. Permission denied Is anybody out there who can help me in changing my password? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

9. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
fence_rsb(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      fence_rsb(8)

NAME
fence_rsb - I/O Fencing agent for Fujitsu-Siemens RSB SYNOPSIS
fence_rsb [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
fence_rsb is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with the Fujitsu-Siemens RSB management interface. It logs into an RSB device via tel- net and reboots the associated machine. Lengthy telnet connections to the RSB device should be avoided while a GFS cluster is running because the connection will block any necessary fencing actions. fence_rsb accepts options on the command line as well as from stdin. Fenced sends parameters through stdin when it execs the agent. fence_rsb can be run by itself with command line options. This is useful for testing. Vendor URL: http://www.fujitsu.com OPTIONS
-a IPaddress IP address or hostname of the RSB device. -h Print out a help message describing available options, then exit. -l login Login name. -n telnet_port The port number on which the telnet service listens. -o action The action required. This can be reboot (default), off, on, or status. -p password Password for login. -S path Full path to an executable to generate the password for login. -v Verbose. Print informational messages to standard out. -V Print out a version message, then exit. STDIN PARAMETERS
agent = < param > This option is used by fence_node(8) and is ignored by fence_rsb. ipaddr = < hostname | ip > IP address or hostname of the device. telnet_port = < port number > The port number on which the telnet service listens. login = < param > Login name. option = < param > The action required. This can be reboot (default), off, on, or status. passwd = < param > Password for login. passwd_script = < param > Full path to an executable to generate the password for login. SEE ALSO
fence(8), fence_node(8) fence_rsb(8)