Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting data file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting data file Post 59985 by zazzybob on Thursday 6th of January 2005 10:51:38 AM
Old 01-06-2005
There's probably an easier way to do it, but I'd do something like this with Perl...
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

# Just modify the following two variables
$NUM_LINES=10;
$HEADER_STRING="This is my header";

$count=0;
$file_num=0;

while (<>) {
  if ( $count == 0 ) {
     $filename = join("","file",$file_num);
     open( FILE, ">> $filename" );
     print( FILE "$HEADER_STRING\n" );
     print( FILE "$_" );
     $count++;
  } elsif ( $count == $NUM_LINES ) {
     close( FILE );
     $count = 0;
     $file_num++;
  } else {
     # just write the line!
     print( FILE "$_" );
     $count++;
  }
}

Then make it executable and call with
$ my_perl_script.pl my_large_file

This will split your large file into as many 10 data line files (i.e. 11 lines including the header) as required.

Just modify the $NUM_LINES and $HEADER_STRING variables to suit your needs.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the data and storing it into 2 variables

Hi, I have a file in the given format: |aaa |hhh |fat hat chat |make sure I need to get store in a variable,say 'error' the value of the string 'fat hat chat' In short, echo $error should give the result fat hat chat Is this possible using awk? Also, can this be split.For... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Splitting into two files from one file

I have a file as: I/P File: Ground Car 2009 Lib 2008 Lib 2003 Ground Car 2009 Ground Car 2003 Car 2005 Car 2003 Car 2005 Sita 2900 2006 Car 2007 I have to split the file into two: - one for names and second for years. O/p1 (Names): Ground Car (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting Data in File

I have a file with the below Data 1,nj@ny@pa@caa 2,ct 3,ca@vaa@txI want the output to be 1,nj 1,ny 1,pa 1,caa 2,ct 3,ca 3,vaa 3,tx I need to split the second column based on @ as delimiter The number of delimiters is unknown (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: traininfa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the data in a column into several columns

Hi, I have the following input file 32895901-d17f-414c-ac93-3e7e0f5ec240 AND @GDF_INPUT 73b129e1-1fa9-4c0d-b95b-4682e5389612 AUS @GDF_INPUT 40f82e88-d1ff-4ce2-9b8e-d827ddb39447 BEL @GDF_INPUT 36e9c3f1-042a-43a4-a80e-4a3bc2513d01 BGR @GDF_INPUT I want to split column 3 into two columns:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : splitting the data into 2 different variables

I have a perl variable which contains the below value. $var1 = "2% / 51%" Now I would like to split the data into 2 different variables. For example $part1 = 2 $part2 = 51 Could anyone please help me in this regard ? Regards, GS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me pls : splitting single file in unix into different files based on data

I have a file in unix with sample data as follows : -------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------- {30001002|XXparameter|Layout|$ I want this file to be splitted into different files and corresponding to the sample... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
54 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting data into new records

Hi, My file is seperated with ";" delimiter, after 13 delimiter i want to put the data in new line... eg: My current file:- a;b;c;d;e;f;g;h;e;f;h;s;t;a;i;o;q;t;q;r;yu;f;sz;f;t;r........... i want o/p as:- a;b;c;d;e;f;g;h;e;f;h;s;t a;i;o;q;t;q;r;yu;f;sz;f;t;r How to achieve ths,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from one file, based on another file (splitting)

Dear All, I have two files but want to extract data from one based on another... can you please help me file 1 David Tom Ellen and file 2 David|0010|testnamez|resultsz David|0004|testnamex|resultsx Tom|0010|testnamez|resultsz Tom|0004|testnamex|resultsx Ellen|0010|testnamez|resultsz... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the Data using awk

Hello All, I have a comma delimiter file with 10 columns. I took the desired data but from $4 I need to split into two columns as 3+7 bytes. awk -F"," -v OFS=',' '{print $2,$3,$4}' foo.txt 42366,11/10/2014,5012418769 42366,11/10/2014,2046955672 42366,11/10/2014,2076802951 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies
uuencode(5)							File Formats Manual						       uuencode(5)

Name
       uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file

Description
       Files  output by consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line.  The command ignores any lines preceding
       the header or following the trailer.  Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header.

The header line is distinguished by having the first six characters by the word ``begin'', followed by a space.	The next item on the  line
       is a mode (in octal) and a string which names the remote file.  A space separates the three items in the header line.

The  body  consists  of	a  number of lines, each at most 62 characters long including the trailing new line.  These consist of a character
       count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a new line.  The character count is a single printing character and represents an  inte-
       ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents.  Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub-
       tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character.

Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, with 6 bits per character.  All are offset by a space to make the characters print.  The last
       line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes.  If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on
       the last line.  Extra dummy characters are included to make the character count a multiple of 4.  The body is terminated by a line  with  a
       count of zero.  This line consists of one ASCII space.

The trailer line consists of "end" on a line by itself.

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uudecode(1c), uuencode(1c), uusend(1c)

uuencode(5)