Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redhat sendmail help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redhat sendmail help Post 59975 by larryase on Wednesday 5th of January 2005 09:14:30 PM
Old 01-05-2005
Network Redhat sendmail help

Hello all,

I have been trying to understand sendmail. I'm having problem sending mail to another machine on the same network. I keep on getting error "Deferred: Name Server :redone: host name lookup fail". I can ping the machine and log in via ssh no problem. I don't have a DNS server. Is this because sendmail is looking for host via the DNS server instead of /etc/hosts. I have edit my /etc/resolv.conf file to not look for a nameserver just the domain. But the same thing. I can mail to a user on the machine locally. I can telnet to the smtp port locally but not from the out side ( another machine). I have edit my /etc/hosts.allow to include the other machine. I have also look at the posting here and edit the sendmail.cf to accept unreolv hostname and account and recompile. This doen't work. I'm lost. I'm currently running redhat AS3. Any help would be great. THANKS
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat

Hi all, I'm installing RedHat 7.0 on a laptop. As it's a dual boot with win2k I make a boot sector instead of using the MBR. After the install I mark the boot sector active in windows then I can boot into Linux. First question. When I make the boot sector active it deletes the swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

2. Linux

redhat

hello people i just installed redhat, everything seemes to be fine, but when i start it, it boots up normally and starts firstboot or whatever, then it opens something, i can move the mouse for a while(thats all i see.. first the X then an arrow..) but then the whole computer freezes.. i think the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
3 Replies

3. SuSE

redhat

i just bought a redhat 9.0 book which comes with the operating system and Ive install it as a server however Im having difficulties installing Swat and I just wonder if I have to spend buy an enterprise server or what ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

redhat

if sombody can help it will be very good.I want to have some information concerning redhat 9.How to go in the internet with :confused: ,how to programmate in c or c++,and finally how i can use it esaly.Sorry for my english i'm a french speaker ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyep
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Sendmail -- Fedora -- Redhat

Hello, I've problems sending email with Sendmail over the internet. My mails always end in up in the file /var/spool/mail/root. This is the command: mail cccc@hotmail.com subject: hello hello . Cc: Thanks in advance!! Greetings Caroline (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: caroline
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sendmail fails receiving mail since the IP changed on Redhat Server

Hi, Since i move my Linux Redhat server on another Network with new IP address. WE'RE ABLE TO SEND MAIL OUTSIDE BUT we can not receive any incoming mail. It alway points to the old IP. I updated new IP in /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network then reboot the system. 10.117.32.20 is an old ip... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat 5.8 to 6.0

Hi, Currently running Redhat 5.8, I am thinking about upgrading to 6. After the upgrade, in case, I want to downgrade. How would I do that? Please let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
SENDMAILCONFIG(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 SENDMAILCONFIG(8)

NAME
sendmailconfig - configure sendmail for Debian systems SYNOPSIS
sendmailconfig [--no-reload] DESCRIPTION
sendmailconfig is used to simplify the configuration of sendmail(8) for use on Debian systems. In the simplest case, you may run this program to (re)configure sendmail for your Debian system at any time. It will modify the file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc in order to create a working sendmail configuration which will be written to the file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. For advanced configurations, you can modify the sendmail.mc file before generating sendmail.cf. Future invokations of sendmailconfig will preserve these changes provided they are made at the end of the file. Normally sendmailconfig will ask if you want to reload sendmail after making changes to its configuration. The --no-reload option will avoid this question. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc sendmail m4 input to generate sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf actual sendmail configuration file /etc/mail/sendmail.cw names for which we will accept mail in the standard configuration /etc/mail/sendmail.ct names of trusted users in the standard configuration SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> 21-Jan-1997 SENDMAILCONFIG(8)