Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt Post 59938 by hassan2 on Wednesday 5th of January 2005 06:11:40 AM
Old 01-05-2005
when I boot from redhat cd then go to rescue linux, the cd try to mount the sysimage on
/mnt/sysimage but this failed with error message "cannot find linux system image"

I try to manally partitition

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt

mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt failed: no such file or directory

mount -f /dev/sda1 /mnt
no error but noting appear under /mnt

Any more suggestion, Please

Thanks in Advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get GRUB to boot Linux!!!

I have installed Linux 7.2 on a IBM xseries 235 server with 5 scsi hard drives and ServerRaid-5i Ultra320 scsi controller. I started my installation by configuring the raid controller. I created 2 arrays, raid 1 and raid5. I then proceeded to install Linux and load the drivers. After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. Linux

GRUB cannot boot NTFS partitions?

I have an issue with booting NTFS partitions with Grub. I have two HHD 1st HDD with Red Hat 9.0 and Grub as bootloader 2nd HDD with 8 Win partitions all ntfs. I have added the following line in my grub.conf: title Windows2000/Domino 6 root (hd1,0) makeactive chainloader +1 When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDE Man
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serious GRUB/boot problems

Hi! I got some serious problems with booting the computer. When started it prints GRUB GRUB GRUB all over the screen. tchan on #grub tried to help me but with no result. Here is the log. Mabey there is something that we have missed?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barfly.se
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grub to boot from different disks

Hello, I'm working on a x86 machine with 3 disks installed. I need to boot from disk to disk, but I cannot figure out how to do this using Grub. The O/S is Solaris 10 and grub version is 0.95 Can anyone give me any help with this? Thanks, James. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeijmae
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grub to boot windows

Hello, I am using debian-5.0.0(lenny) . I installed windows xp(a hacked version) on a usb stick. this stick works perfectly well and boots off a windows system successfully. but on linux it is finding problems to do so. So I finally decided to put a grub entry to boot off the usb HDD. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav1086
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

grub problem - unable to boot

I am not able to boot into my ubuntu. Grub gives me this message How do I boot linux? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub - how to boot a copy of Linux (full system backup)

Hi All, I have successfully backup & restore (using tar) one of my Debian Lenny Servers. On the restore server (standby machine), everytime i have to erase the disk & extract the tar backup. I want to extract the tar on the running restore server on a directory for e.g /systembackup-01,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
11 Replies

8. Solaris

OpenSolaris GRUB> boot failure HELP

Hi, i am running an old Opensolaris 5.11 snv_111b on an x86 server. After almost 4 years of successful service, last night out of the blue started to refuse all connections to it's services, ssh, http,etc. The only visible solution at that time was a restart. But now instead of booting the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_oilen
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to boot partition from Grub Minimal_BASH?

Hi, someone knows how can I boot my OS or cdrom from a Grub Minimal_Bash? :confused: sorry, I´m a dummy I explain, when I start loading the OS, I get errors, and ends up in the grub bash. This is the minimal_bash and I have no idea of ​​any command. It tells me "unknow partition". The problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: veravera
0 Replies
VNDCOMPRESS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    VNDCOMPRESS(1)

NAME
vndcompress, vnduncompress -- compress/uncompress file system images to/from cloop2 format SYNOPSIS
vndcompress [-cd] disk/fs-image compressed-image [blocksize] vnduncompress [-cd] compressed-image disk/fs-image DESCRIPTION
The vndcompress program compresses an existing file system image into a cloop2 compatible compressed file system image. An optional block- size can be given. If omitted, the default of 64kB is used. The vnduncompress command decompress a cloop2-compressed file system image back into a regular image. The file system images that can be handled are not limited to any specific file system, i.e. it is possible to handle images e.g. in ISO 9660 or UFS/FFS format. File system images in the cloop2 format are intended to be used with the vnd(4) driver in compressed mode as configured by the -z option of the vnconfig(8) program, and later mounted with the appropriate -t option to mount(8). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -c Always compress, even if the program was started as vnduncompress. -d Always uncompress (decompress), even if the program was started as vndcompress. EXIT STATUS
The vndcompress and vnduncompress utilities exit with one of the following values: 0 The operation was performed successfully. 1 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To compress an existing CD-ROM file system image, run the following commands: # vndcompress netbsd.iso netbsd.izo Note that the resulting compressed image cannot be mounted directly via NetBSD's vnd(4) and mount_cd9660(8) commands any longer. Instead, you will have to use the -z option of vnconfig(8). The following example decompresses an existing CD-ROM file system image that was compressed in the cloop2 format into a regular file that can then be mounted: # vnconfig vnd0 KNOPPIX.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd0d /mnt # vnduncompress /mnt/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /var/tmp/knoppix.iso # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 # # vnconfig vnd1 /var/tmp/knoppix.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd1d /mnt # ls /mnt .rr_moved cdrom floppy lib opt sbin usr bin dev home mnt proc sys var boot etc initrd none root tmp vmlinuz # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd1 As an alternative, if your vnd(4) was compiled with VND_COMPRESSION, you can use vnconfig(8) to access the cloop-compressed image directly, e.g., # vnconfig vnd0 KNOPPIX.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd0d /mnt # vnconfig -z vnd1 /mnt/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd1d /mnt2 # ls /mnt2 .rr_moved cdrom floppy lib opt sbin usr bin dev home mnt proc sys var boot etc initrd none root tmp vmlinuz # df /mnt /mnt2 Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/vnd0a 692M 692M 0B 100% /mnt /dev/vnd1a 1.9G 1.9G 0B 100% /mnt2 # umount /mnt2 # vnconfig -u vnd1 # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 Note how the 1.9GB big filesystem on /mnt2 is mounted from the compressed file stored on the 692MB CD mounted on /mnt. To create a com- pressed file system image of an existing directory and mount it, run: # makefs -t ffs include.fs /usr/include # vndcompress include.fs include.fs.cloop2 # vnconfig -z vnd0 include.fs.cloop2 # mount -o ro /dev/vnd0a /mnt # ls /mnt To undo the steps, run: # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 # rm /tmp/include.fs.cloop2 # rm /tmp/include.fs SEE ALSO
gzip(1), vnd(4), mount(8), mount_cd9660(8), vnconfig(8) AUTHORS
The vndcompress utility was written by Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>. The vndcompress manual page was written by Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de> and Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>. BSD
December 12, 2005 BSD