Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt Post 59921 by woofie on Tuesday 4th of January 2005 04:35:12 PM
Old 01-04-2005
you tried booting off the CD into single user mode then running a few checks on the HDD?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get GRUB to boot Linux!!!

I have installed Linux 7.2 on a IBM xseries 235 server with 5 scsi hard drives and ServerRaid-5i Ultra320 scsi controller. I started my installation by configuring the raid controller. I created 2 arrays, raid 1 and raid5. I then proceeded to install Linux and load the drivers. After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. Linux

GRUB cannot boot NTFS partitions?

I have an issue with booting NTFS partitions with Grub. I have two HHD 1st HDD with Red Hat 9.0 and Grub as bootloader 2nd HDD with 8 Win partitions all ntfs. I have added the following line in my grub.conf: title Windows2000/Domino 6 root (hd1,0) makeactive chainloader +1 When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDE Man
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serious GRUB/boot problems

Hi! I got some serious problems with booting the computer. When started it prints GRUB GRUB GRUB all over the screen. tchan on #grub tried to help me but with no result. Here is the log. Mabey there is something that we have missed?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barfly.se
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grub to boot from different disks

Hello, I'm working on a x86 machine with 3 disks installed. I need to boot from disk to disk, but I cannot figure out how to do this using Grub. The O/S is Solaris 10 and grub version is 0.95 Can anyone give me any help with this? Thanks, James. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeijmae
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grub to boot windows

Hello, I am using debian-5.0.0(lenny) . I installed windows xp(a hacked version) on a usb stick. this stick works perfectly well and boots off a windows system successfully. but on linux it is finding problems to do so. So I finally decided to put a grub entry to boot off the usb HDD. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav1086
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

grub problem - unable to boot

I am not able to boot into my ubuntu. Grub gives me this message How do I boot linux? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grub - how to boot a copy of Linux (full system backup)

Hi All, I have successfully backup & restore (using tar) one of my Debian Lenny Servers. On the restore server (standby machine), everytime i have to erase the disk & extract the tar backup. I want to extract the tar on the running restore server on a directory for e.g /systembackup-01,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
11 Replies

8. Solaris

OpenSolaris GRUB> boot failure HELP

Hi, i am running an old Opensolaris 5.11 snv_111b on an x86 server. After almost 4 years of successful service, last night out of the blue started to refuse all connections to it's services, ssh, http,etc. The only visible solution at that time was a restart. But now instead of booting the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_oilen
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to boot partition from Grub Minimal_BASH?

Hi, someone knows how can I boot my OS or cdrom from a Grub Minimal_Bash? :confused: sorry, I´m a dummy I explain, when I start loading the OS, I get errors, and ends up in the grub bash. This is the minimal_bash and I have no idea of ​​any command. It tells me "unknow partition". The problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: veravera
0 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. The grub source distribution carries this script to ease the installation of grub as a boot loader. In Suse Linux however, grub installa- tion is much better handled by Yast; use of this script is generally discouraged and therefore unsupported. Consequently, the script has been renamed to grub-install.unsupported. In order to (re-)install grub for the currently running system, simply use Yast. For an installation aiming at a differing system, the crafting of an appropriate device.map and grub shell script is strongly advised, e.g. "grub --batch --device-map=target-device.map < tar- get-grub.conf" SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB-INSTALL(8)