Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The what and how to install UNIX on a new mac Post 59893 by jhoffman on Tuesday 4th of January 2005 08:07:12 AM
Old 01-04-2005
osx has a built in shell for the unix environment(bash) and as far as i can tell there is no gui to it what so ever. osx is built on unix essentially. that is why all the rave about it.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking to install Unix on my Mac

I know how to install Unix or Linux on my Mac using bootcamp, I installed the Ubuntu distribution of Linux on my Mac. Basically I'm looking for advice on what OS I should learn with. I am fiercely interested in programming, and am learning C++ and Python at the moment. Anyways, everyone has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micolejr2
5 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

install windows on mac

Hello all, i want to install windows on mac and when i search i found that there is a program called Parallels Desktop to install windows on mac but i want it on the laptop not on the program does it work? or there is another anyway to install it on mac..?? Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
8 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.

I lost the firmware password for my MacBook Pro 13" I pulled one of the two DIMMs and did a PRAM reset but the password is intact. How do I reset the password. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JustOne
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paritioning mac harddrive during arch install

hi so i am a noob to linux but not computers in general and have decided i want to give linux a go. because i like to make things hard for myself and because someone told me i wouldnt be able to figure it out iv decided to try arch so iinstalled it last night and it installed fine and i got... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irish
0 Replies

5. AIX

Power Mac G4 install AIX

hi all ! i want install aix on power mac g4 . does it work correctly ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ijj
1 Replies
MAC_IS_PRESENT(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 MAC_IS_PRESENT(3)

NAME
mac_is_present -- report whether the running system has MAC support LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mac.h> int mac_is_present(const char *policyname); DESCRIPTION
The mac_is_present() function determines whether the currently-running kernel supports MAC for a given policy or not. If policyname is non-NULL, the presence of the named policy (e.g. ``biba'', ``mls'', ``te'') is checked, otherwise the presence of any MAC policies at all is checked. RETURN VALUES
If the system supports the given MAC policy, the value 1 is returned. If the specified MAC policy is not supported, the value 0 is returned. If an error occurs, the value -1 is returned. ERRORS
[EINVAL] The value of policyname is not valid. [ENOMEM] Insufficient memory was available to allocate internal storage. SEE ALSO
mac(3), mac_free(3), mac_get(3), mac_prepare(3), mac_set(3), mac_text(3), mac(4), mac(9) HISTORY
Support for Mandatory Access Control was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0 as part of the TrustedBSD Project. BSD
July 7, 2006 BSD