Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD Post 59725 by gozer13 on Wednesday 29th of December 2004 03:40:40 PM
Old 12-29-2004
Computer Web Server Hardware

kargooliw, if you install two NICs, even with a huge pipe to the net, you will be able to setup full duplex; meaning one card for incoming traffic, and one for outgoing. This will greatly reduce the bottleneck between your cpu and the world. Even if you're not going to experience a lot of hits or traffic on your site, NICs are cheap enough to justify the rewards.
As for one cpu vs. multiple, a team of horses pulling a wagon is going to be more efficient then one monster breed steroided out. I have a multi-processor server, running P-II 400s. A few of those (which you can almost dig out of someone's trash) will out perform any single processor 1.x or 2.x GHz machine. The initial expense if higher, as you are talking about server hardware, instead of a modified desktop, but check e-bay, ubid, overstock, etc. They have surprising deals on Compaq servers! I will still be using my P-II server long after others have upgraded their single processor box. I don't know why you would want a custom video card on a web server, seems kind of silly to me. A cheapie would work, as your really don't want to run anything over 256 colors anyway, it is directly proportional to needless resource, and budget usage.
If you are just doing user authentication, you will defiantly want to go with a full duplex connection, and a min of a gig of ram. Drive space isn't too critical, but make sure it's mirrored, and you do backups! If you are doing databaseing or similar drive dependency work, then HW RAID-5 is an exceptional solution. It's expensive but once again you can pick up a controller card aligned with the price range you are targeting, drives are also a little expensive, but from an operational and disaster recovery standpoint, if you can flip the bill, well worth the cost-trust me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red hat or free BSD?

This is my first post here, so I thought Id make it good. I am building a webserver that will be up in a month or so, so I am starting now. I was wondering, since I am on the fence here, should I go with Red hat or BSD? I am comfortable with both, I can run apache on either one, but I am wondering... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: advok8
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Bsd

i am installing FREEBSD and I would like to know which hardware specific network card that works and help with this would be great I am very new to this (UNIX) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free BSD Display Properties?

I'm very new to UNIX and just istalled FreeBSD on my computer. I using the KDE desktop and the resolution is horrible. How do I adjust this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbrouder
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free BSD 5.1 & default gateway

Hello folks, I'm very new to Unix so please bear with me. I have a FreeBSD 5.1 box on IP address 192.168.1.4 and I want to tell it to use my broadband router (192.168.1.1) as it's default gateway. Could someone tell me how to do this? I did search these forums first but could not find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SRP
1 Replies

5. BSD

X-Windows Free BSD

so, i have a video card SIS s315 AGP and i can't cofigure X Free on free BSD to run X window. Anybody can help me solve this problem?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dmitri-br
2 Replies

6. BSD

Free BSD X window

Can anyone help me ? I have installed Free BSD several times and I can't get the X window to work . I have installed the ports Gnome and others but for some reason when I type start x doesn't work. I downloaded the 3 i386 disks but I get to install the first one wich complete the setup and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyhawkfly
3 Replies

7. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

8. BSD

How to create IP table at Free BSD

Now, I had installed free bsd at my office. Unfortunitely, Email server have been using Local PoP3 and SMTP to our ISP with outlook. but my unix firewall sever ( free bsd ) didn't allow these port ( 110 & 25 ). How can i create the IP table to pass at server. If u have any experience about obvious... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashraff Ali
4 Replies

9. BSD

installing free BSD

Hello friends. I am new to Unix although i am very flexible to any programming language. i was a window user. Now, no more. I have decided myself to switch to unix. Here is my problem: I burned the free BSD into my new RW CD's. I inserted the bootable manager first then, it was scanning and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonjour2006
5 Replies

10. BSD

USB mount of Free BSD

Hello all When I insert my USB , its says : umass0 detected . I want to ls files present in the USB. I tried mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Whats is dev/da0s1 ????? How can I mount it to use it ? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
J0(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						     J0(3)

NAME
j0, j0f, j1, j1f, jn, jnf, y0, y0f, y1, y1f, yn, ynf -- Bessel functions of first and second kind LIBRARY
Math Library (libm, -lm) SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double j0(double x); float j0f(float x); double j1(double x); float j1f(float x); double jn(int n, double x); float jnf(int n, float x); double y0(double x); float y0f(float x); double y1(double x); float y1f(float x); double yn(int n, double x); float ynf(int n, float x); DESCRIPTION
The functions j0(), j0f(), j1() and j1f() compute the Bessel function of the first kind of the order 0 and the order 1, respectively, for the real value x; the functions jn() and jnf() compute the Bessel function of the first kind of the integer order n for the real value x. The functions y0(), y0f(), y1() and y1f() compute the linearly independent Bessel function of the second kind of the order 0 and the order 1, respectively, for the positive integer value x (expressed as a double); the functions yn() and ynf() compute the Bessel function of the second kind for the integer order n for the positive integer value x (expressed as a double). RETURN VALUES
If these functions are successful, the computed value is returned, otherwise the global variable errno is set to EDOM and a reserve operand fault is generated. SEE ALSO
math(3) HISTORY
This set of functions appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 19, 1991 BSD