Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity swordfish --- a password generator Post 59404 by Perderabo on Saturday 18th of December 2004 03:29:15 PM
Old 12-18-2004
If I do this:
Code:
$ ./swordfish
>>}###@>---- define X=(n{ABCDEF})
>>}###@>---- XXXXXX
0F5C7E
9833F3
9713BE
1EBE49

>>}###@>----

I can generate random hexadecimal numbers. Password generators are very close to being random number generators. So it is fair to ask a password generator to pass tests intended for a random number generator. I did this:
Code:
$ ./swordfish "define X=(n{ABCDEF})" "format 1000000" "X<80>" > hex.txt
This command took 13711 seconds.
$

At that point I had one million lines of hexadecimal numbers, each 80 characters in length. This is exactly the input format needed by the asc2bin program of the diehard test suite. I ran diehard on the data file, selecting all 15 tests. The data passes all 15 tests. The results are attached.

Last edited by Perderabo; 07-06-2005 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Fix typo

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Password Generator

I need a great Password Generator program. I looked at a few of them, but none of them seemed to be what I wanted. So I have decided to write my own. (That's the cool thing about being a programmer....I always get what I want in software :) ) Do you have any password generators that you... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date generator

Is there a command to generate the unix date that is in theshadow file?>? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

time generator

Hi experts, I'd like to generate the table/file containing: number of milliseconds elapsed since midnight till midnight. It should contain 5 columns (hours minutes seconds milliseconds): Table will have theoretically 86 400 000 rows. My question is , is there somewhere the file or source... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequence generator

Thanks Guys This really helped (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robert89
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Password generator with user inputs

Hi, I am new to bash scripting and i wanted to make a bash script that will generate a password for a user. The user must enter his/her name and the url of the site the password is used for. And the script will generate a password with those two elements in the password. So if the url is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kvr123
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
random(3M)																random(3M)

NAME
random(), srandom(), initstate(), setstate() - generate a pseudorandom number SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The and functions are random-number generators that have virtually the same calling sequence and initialization properties as the and func- tions, but produce sequences that are more random. The low 12 bits generated by the function go through a cyclic pattern, while all the bits generated by the function are usable. For example, produces a random binary value. The function uses a nonlinear additive feedback random-number generator employing a default state array size of 31 long integers to return successive pseudorandom numbers in the range from 0 to The period of this random-number generator is approximately 16 x The size of the state array determines the period of the random-number generator. Increasing the state array size increases the period. With 256 bytes of state information, the period of the random-number generator is greater than Like the function, the function produces by default a sequence of numbers that can be duplicated by calling the function with a value of 1 as the seed. The function initializes the current state array using the value of seed. The and functions handle restarting and changing random-number generators. The function allows a state array, pointed to by the state argument, to be initialized for future use. The size argument, which specifies the size in bytes of the state array, is used by the func- tion to decide how sophisticated a random-number generator to use; the larger the state array, the more random the numbers. Values for the amount of state information are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes. Amounts less than 8 bytes return a NULL pointer, while other amounts are rounded down to the nearest known value. The seed argument specifies a starting point for the random-number sequence and provides for restarting at the same point. The function returns a pointer to the previous state information array. Once a state has been initialized, the function allows switching between state arrays. The array defined by the state argument is used for further random-number generation until the function is called or the function is called again. The function returns a pointer to the pre- vious state array. After initialization, a state array can be restarted at a different point in one of two ways: The function can be used, with the desired seed, state array, and size of the array. The function, with the desired state, can be used, followed by the function with the desired seed. The advantage of using both of these functions is that the size of the state array does not have to be saved once it is initialized. RETURN VALUE
The function returns the generated pseudorandom number. The function returns no value. Upon successful completion, the and functions return a pointer to the previous state array. Otherwise, a NULL pointer is returned. ERRORS
If the function detects that the state information has been damaged, error messages are written to standard error. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
random(3M)