Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The here document <<
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The here document << Post 59279 by zazzybob on Wednesday 15th of December 2004 09:53:57 AM
Old 12-15-2004
bhargav has already given you three examples of here document usage.

You say you want to write an "interactive" program using a here document? The very nature and purpose of a here document is to take away user interaction and provide automation.

If you have a specific requirement, then please post what it is you're trying to do.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a document

Hi.. Does anybody knows how can I split a file in N documents?? I have a document of more than 80,000 lines (it is generated in a dynamic way, sometimes has 80,000 others 30,000 , or 1000,000) Im trying tyo break this file in only 1 lines of commands but I want to break it in a N differents files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtapia
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo with a here-document

I do not know how valid this post is, but here it is. I was writing a script for testing some development code that I had written. It involved many echo statements to redirect the output into a log file. Given the large number of echo statements, I took to this solution cat <<EOF >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Teaching myself Here Document

I understand that a Here Document will redirect all of the lines between the beginning marker for the here document and the ending marker into the command specified just as if the text were coming from standard input. I am trying to understand the Here Document with this example: # Menu file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

here document not working

I tried doing ftp myhost <<HERE username password quit HERE but it doesnt work. Why? When I do ftp host, I always get prompted for username, and once I type that in I get prompted for password. But when I try doing it from here document it freezes. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and here document

Hi :) how can I use here doc to use ssh? I am facing a problem with the below script: #!/bin/bash ssh hosein@localhost << * 123456 * "123456" is my password Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: htabesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Document

Plz can somebody give me the shell and perl scripting documents,i need to start the scrpts learning.now i know about the linux commands,but need help in putting the same in the scripting with do,if,while and also using diffrent commands in the scrpipts,pls help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.res
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in HERE DOCUMENT

Here is my problem: can we set the variables in the HERE DOCUMENT? I have tried but failed. Any one has good comments please let me know. #!/bin/csh -f pbrun -u xmgbrk runshell <<! @ $num1 = `wc -l /home/tpltp/csh/scripts/who.csh` echo "$num1" if ( $num1 > 0 ) then echo $num1 | tee -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpltp
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here document inside a here document?

Can we use a here document inside a here document? Something like this ssh user@remotehost << REMOTE sudo vserver vsernamename enter << VSERVER perform actions on vserver. VSERVER REMOTE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

HTML document

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Personal Web Page</TITLE></HEAD> <BODY BGCOLOR="WHITE"><H3> <CENTER>My Personal Page<HR>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Larry_1
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the value from Here Document

I have code like var="1" echo << EOF export `var="2"` EOF echo $var The value of var is printed here is 1 but it should be 2 Any error there? ---------- Post updated at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:33 AM ---------- Also tried var="1" echo var << EOF echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adisky123
1 Replies
DDIF(5) 							File Formats Manual							   DDIF(5)

Name
       DDIF - Digital Document Interchange Format (DDIF) files

Description
       Digital	Document Interchange Format (DDIF) is a DDIS/ASN.1 encoding for the interchange of revisable compound documents with document pro-
       cessing systems.  DDIF is also a document output format, a storage format for user documents residing on a disk, and  a	compound  document
       format.

The  purpose  of DDIF is to allow the creation of compound documents and also to serve as a standard intermediate format for the conversion
       of documents based on other formats.  For example, a simple ASCII text file can be converted to DDIF, and the DDIF file can  then  be  con-
       verted to PostScript.  A DDIF document can also be converted to ASCII.

DDIF files are documents or portions of compound documents.  A DDIF document is considered a simple document if it consists of one file.  A
       DDIF document is considered a compound document if it consists of more than one file, the master of which must be a DDIF file.

A DDIF file can contain storage addresses (for example, filename) of other files, which must be DDIF, ASCII text,  binary,  or  PostScript.
       References to DOTS files is not supported.

Because	a  DDIF file can reference another DDIF file and the referenced DDIF file can reference other DDIF files, a DDIF document can con-
       sist of a tree of files.

The following commands are used to manipulate DDIF files:

cdoc		   Provides a set of converters to and from DDIF format.

ctod		   Packs DDIF documents into DOTS syntax.  The user can choose to archive a DDIF document in  this  manner.   The  command
			   also copies DDIF files from one location to another.

dtoc		   Copies DDIF files from one location to another.

dxvdoc		   Enables  user to view DDIF documents. The command is used on workstations running ULTRIX UWS software.  The command can
			   also display imbedded graphics and image data that is encoded in the DDIF syntax.

vdoc		   Enables user to view DDIF documents.  The command is for use on character-cell terminals.

DDIF documents can be mailed to other users.

See Also
       cdoc(1), ctod(1), dtoc(1), vdoc(1), dxvdoc(1X), DOTS(5), DDIS(5)

DDIF(5)