Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fork
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fork Post 5919 by rwb1959 on Sunday 26th of August 2001 08:14:42 PM
Old 08-26-2001
forking

Wee,

Yes you could use fork() BUT...
I would also recommend using threads to
accomplish what you are proposing. If you were
to use fork(), you would have as many separate
programs running as you have keywords per query.
Then, you would have to synchronize the results
of each into a single result. Threads will allow
you to run each keyword query against separate
databases but still allow you to synchronize
the results from within the same program. I
would recommend reading...

"Programming with POSIX Threads"
ISBN 0-201-63392-2

"Pthreads Programming"
ISBN 1-56592-115-1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

fork() fd

I run this code, actually I want to both processes print the message from "data". But only one does. What happens? Anyone can help? #include <stdio.h> main(){ int fd, pid; char x; fd = open("data",0); /* open file "data" */ pid = fork(); if(pid != 0){ wait(0); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herman
2 Replies

2. Programming

fork()

#include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define MAX_COUNT 200 #define BUF_SIZE 100 void main(void) { pid_t pid; int i; char buf; fork(); pid = getpid(); for (i = 1; i <= MAX_COUNT; i++) { sprintf(buf,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKSRaja
2 Replies

3. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

4. Programming

Fork ()

hi all About this code for (i = 1; i < n; i++) if ((childpid = fork()) <= 0) break; I really can't understand the output . and the way fork () return the value . how about the process Id ,the child process Id and the parent ID in this case so please answer me soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
5 Replies

5. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

7. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

8. Programming

Fork()

does fork() spawn only the parent process, what if fork() is looped, does it spawn the parent and the child? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

10. Programming

Fork!

I understand that fork create a child but I need very simple example that make child useful.... I mean how will make the program faster anyone explain with code plz using C plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies
fork(2) 							System Calls Manual							   fork(2)

Name
       fork - create a new process

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <unistd.h>

pid = fork()
       pid_t pid;

Description
       The  system  call causes creation of a new process.  The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the
       following:

o    The child process has a unique process ID.

o    The child process has a different parent process ID (that is, the process ID of the parent process).

o    The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors.  These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for
	    instance,  file  pointers  in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that a on a descriptor in the child process
	    can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent.  This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to	establish  standard  input
	    and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes.

o    The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0.  For further information, see

Return Values
       Upon  successful  completion,  returns  a  value  of  0	to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent
       process.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set	to
       indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and no child process are created under the following conditions:

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {PROC_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded.

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {CHILD_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded.

[ENOMEM]       There is insufficient swap space for the new process.

See Also
       execve(2), wait(2)

fork(2)