Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array size
Top Forums Programming Array size Post 5917 by rwb1959 on Sunday 26th of August 2001 07:32:46 PM
Old 08-26-2001
the includes for the getlimits.c code

For some reason, the include files didn't
come out in the code in the previous posting.
the files are...

sys/time.h
sys/resource.h
unistd.h
stdio.h
stdlib.h

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it

Hi, Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk) can be store before hit any memory issue. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of an array in sh shell script

Is there a way to find out the size of an array in sh shell script? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. Programming

size of char array in c

i have to store a data more than 100000. i don't know the size of the data whether it may be 100000 or 1000000. so how can i define variable size; example char abc; but i don't know the size so how can i give array size?? in one sentence how can i give the array size dynamically so that i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
6 Replies

5. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Awk and Array to get total size of files

Hello all, I need to do scripts total up the size in selected extension file for example motion.mov and segmentation.avi is in Label Media. For file info.doc and calc.xls in Label Document. I need output will be like this: count 1 Media,,2 GB count 2 Document,,4 GB My problem is,... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Programming

Php number array from max, min, step size mysql data

I want to create a form with data values in a dropdown list. The values in the dropdown list need to be generated on the fly from max, min and increment values contained in a mysql database. Hopefully this makes sense, I really have no idea where to start :confused: Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array size in C shell scripting

Hi, I would like to know how to define the size of the array in c shell scripting. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopishrine
15 Replies
getrlimit(2)							System Calls Manual						      getrlimit(2)

Name
       getrlimit, setrlimit - control maximum system resource consumption

Syntax
       #include <sys/time.h>
       #include <sys/resource.h>

getrlimit(resource, rlp)
       int resource;
       struct rlimit *rlp;

setrlimit(resource, rlp)
       int resource;
       struct rlimit *rlp;

Description
       Limits on the consumption of system resources by the current process and each process it creates can be obtained with the call and set with
       the call.

The resource parameter is one of the following:

RLIMIT_CPU	the maximum amount of cpu time (in milliseconds) to be used by each process.

RLIMIT_FSIZE	the largest size, in bytes, of any single file that may be created.

RLIMIT_DATA	the maximum size, in bytes, of the data segment for a process.	This limit defines how far a program can extend its  break
			with the system call.

RLIMIT_STACK	the  maximum size, in bytes, of the stack segment for a process.  This limit defines how far a program's stack segment can
			be extended, either automatically by the system or explicitly by a user, with the system call.

RLIMIT_CORE	the largest size, in bytes, of a core file that may be created.

RLIMIT_RSS	the maximum size, in bytes, to which a process's resident set size may grow when there is a shortage of free physical mem-
			ory.   Exceeding  this	limit  when  free physical memory is in short supply results in an unfavorable scheduling priority
			being assigned to the process.

A resource limit is specified as a soft limit and a hard limit.	When a soft limit is exceeded, a process may receive a signal  (for  exam-
       ple,  if  the cpu time is exceeded), but it will be allowed to continue execution until it reaches the hard limit (or modifies its resource
       limit).	The system uses just the soft limit field of the resources RLIMIT_CORE and RLIMIT_RSS. The rlimit structure is used to specify the
       hard and soft limits on a resource, as shown:
       struct rlimit {
	    int  rlim_cur; /* current (soft) limit */
	    int  rlim_max; /* hard limit */
       };

Only  the  superuser  may  raise  the maximum limits.  Other users may alter rlim_cur within the range from 0 to rlim_max or (irreversibly)
       lower rlim_max.

An "infinite" value for a limit is defined as RLIM_INFINITY (0x7fffffff).

Because this information is stored in the per-process information, this system call must be executed directly by the  shell  if	it  is	to
       affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to

The  system  refuses  to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way: a break call fails if the data
       space limit is reached, or the process is killed when the stack limit is reached.  Because the stack cannot be extended, there is no way to
       send a signal.

A  file	I/O  operation	that  creates  too  large a file causes the SIGXFSZ signal to be generated. This condition normally terminates the
       process, but may be caught.  When the soft cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the process.

Return Values
       A 0 return value indicates that the call succeeded, changing or returning the resource limit.   A return value  of  -1  indicates  that	an
       error occurred, and an error code is stored in the global location errno.

Environment
   System Five
       When your program is compiled in the System V environment, the SIGXFSZ signal is not generated.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following conditions:

[EFAULT]       The address specified for rlp is invalid.

[EPERM]	      The limit specified to would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the superuser.

[EINVAL]       Resource is greater than or equal to RLIM_NLIMITS.

See Also
       csh(1), quota(2)

getrlimit(2)