Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed Post 59125 by Castelior on Friday 10th of December 2004 05:18:15 AM
Old 12-10-2004
sed

Hi,

I have a file:
ABESCAT Bernard 88409 8813 8808 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
Admin. national Base Pro1 99001 9901 9901 0 P4 ADM 3.2.0.1 41027
ADMINISTRATEUR PROD EST 09999 9999 9999 0 P4 ADM 3.0.4
ADRIANT Thierry 51004 5105 5104 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
ALARCON Pierre Yves 34007 3408 3407 0 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.00g
ALARCON Pierre Yves 34011 3413 3413 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
ALMENDROS Michel 44006 4457 4406 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
AMSELLAM Rene 44011 4456 4411 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
ANDRIEUX Evelyne 34004 3404 3404 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
BEAUVILLAIN Jean-Mar 52002 5258 5258 0 P3 DEL non actif
BELLOIS Fabien 12408 1212 1202 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
BELLON Thierry 44013 4451 4412 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M
BENET Arnaud 47009 4736 4706 1 P3 DEL 3.0.4 S3.01M

and I want only recupere XXXX X where X is a number.
I can not use awk because it is not always a the same position.
It is similar for cut. I think I should use sed but it is difficult for me...

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question 1. (Don't quite know how to use sed! Thanks)

Write a sed script to extract the year, rank, and stock for the most recent 10 years available in the file top10_mktval.csv, and output in the following format: ------------------------------ YEAR |RANK| STOCK ------------------------------ 2007 | 1 | Exxon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beibeiatNY
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with a sed one liner variant - sed 's/ ; /|/g' $TMP1 > $TMP

Execution of the following segment is giving the error - Script extract:- OUT=$DATADIR/sol_rsult_orphn.bcp TMP1=${OUT}_tmp1 TMP=${OUT}_tmp ( isql -w 400 $dbConnect_OPR <<EOF select convert(char(10), s.lead_id) +'|' + s.pho_loc_type, ";", s.sol_rsult_cmnt, ";", +'|'+ s.del_ind... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzmatam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed has zeored my files. Help me with sed please

i made a script to update a lot of xml files. to save me some time. Ran it and it replaced all the the files with a 0kb file. The problem i was having is that I am using sed to change xml node <doc_root>. The problem with this is it has a / in the closing xml tag and the stuff inside will also have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting text records with sed (sed paragraphs)

Hi all, First off, Thank you all for the knowledge I have gleaned from this site! Deleting Records from a text file... sed paragraphs The following code works nearly perfect, however each time it is run on the log file it adds a newline at the head of the file, run it 5 times, it'll have 5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output

I'm not sure if the problem I'm seeing is an artifact of sed or simply a beginner's mistake. Here's the problem: I want to add a zero-width space following each underscore between XML tags. For example, if I had the following xml: <MY_BIG_TAG>This_is_a_test</MY_BIG_TAG> It should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhetoric101
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to replace the a string in the same file using sed?

How do i replace a string using sed into the same file without creating a intermediate file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed inside sed for replacing string

My need is : Want to change docBase="/something/something/something" to docBase="/only/this/path/for/all/files" I have some (about 250 files)xml files. In FileOne it contains <Context path="/PPP" displayName="PPP" docBase="/home/me/documents" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - bring the system down SYNOPSIS
/sbin/shutdown [-akrhPHfFnc] [-t sec] time [warning message] DESCRIPTION
shutdown brings the system down in a secure way. All logged-in users are notified that the system is going down, and login(1) is blocked. It is possible to shut the system down immediately or after a specified delay. All processes are first notified that the system is going down by the signal SIGTERM. This gives programs like vi(1) the time to save the file being edited, mail and news processing programs a chance to exit cleanly, etc. shutdown does its job by signalling the init process, asking it to change the runlevel. Runlevel 0 is used to halt the system, runlevel 6 is used to reboot the system, and runlevel 1 is used to put to system into a state where administrative tasks can be performed; this is the default if neither the -h or -r flag is given to shutdown. To see which actions are taken on halt or reboot see the appropriate entries for these runlevels in the file /etc/inittab. OPTIONS
-a Use /etc/shutdown.allow. -k Don't really shutdown; only send the warning messages to everybody. -r Reboot after shutdown. -h Halt or power off after shutdown. -P Halt action is to turn off the power. -H Modifier to the -h flag. Halt action is to halt or drop into boot monitor on systems that support it. Must be used with the -h flag. -f Skip fsck on reboot. -F Force fsck on reboot. -n [DEPRECATED] Don't call init(8) to do the shutdown but do it ourself. The use of this option is discouraged, and its results are not always what you'd expect. -c Cancel a waiting shutdown. ("shutdown now" is no longer waiting.) With this option it is of course not possible to give the time argument, but you can enter explanatory message arguments on the command line that will be sent to all users. -t sec Tell init(8) to wait sec seconds between sending processes the warning and the kill signal, before changing to another runlevel. time When to shutdown. warning message Message to send to all users. The time argument can have different formats. First, it can be an absolute time in the format hh:mm, in which hh is the hour (1 or 2 dig- its) and mm is the minute of the hour (in two digits). Second, it can be in the format +m, in which m is the number of minutes to wait. The word now is an alias for +0. If shutdown is called with a delay, it will create the advisory file /etc/nologin which causes programs such as login(1) to not allow new user logins. This file is created five minutes before the shutdown sequence starts. Shutdown removes this file if it is stopped before it can signal init (i.e. it is cancelled or something goes wrong). It also removes it before calling init to change the runlevel. The -f flag means `reboot fast'. This only creates an advisory file /fastboot which can be tested by the system when it comes up again. The boot rc file can test if this file is present, and decide not to run fsck(1) since the system has been shut down in the proper way. After that, the boot process should remove /fastboot. The -F flag means `force fsck'. This only creates an advisory file /forcefsck which can be tested by the system when it comes up again. The boot rc file can test if this file is present, and decide to run fsck(1) with a special `force' flag so that even properly unmounted file systems get checked. After that, the boot process should remove /forcefsck. The -n flag causes shutdown not to call init, but to kill all running processes itself. shutdown will then turn off quota, accounting, and swapping and unmount all file systems. ACCESS CONTROL
shutdown can be called from init(8) when the magic keys CTRL-ALT-DEL are pressed, by creating an appropriate entry in /etc/inittab. This means that everyone who has physical access to the console keyboard can shut the system down. To prevent this, shutdown can check to see if an authorized user is logged in on one of the virtual consoles. If shutdown is called with the -a argument (add this to the invocation of shutdown in /etc/inittab), it checks to see if the file /etc/shutdown.allow is present. It then compares the login names in that file with the list of people that are logged in on a virtual console (from /var/run/utmp). Only if one of those authorized users or root is logged in, it will proceed. Otherwise it will write the message shutdown: no authorized users logged in to the (physical) system console. The format of /etc/shutdown.allow is one user name per line. Empty lines and comment lines (prefixed by a #) are allowed. Currently there is a limit of 32 users in this file. Note that if /etc/shutdown.allow is not present, the -a argument is ignored. HALT OR POWEROFF
The -H option just sets the init environment variable INIT_HALT to HALT, and the -P option just sets that variable to POWEROFF. The shut- down script that calls halt(8) as the last thing in the shutdown sequence should check these environment variables and call halt(8) with the right options for these options to actually have any effect. Debian 3.1 (sarge) supports this. FILES
/fastboot /etc/inittab /etc/init.d/halt /etc/init.d/reboot /etc/shutdown.allow NOTES
A lot of users forget to give the time argument and are then puzzled by the error message shutdown produces. The time argument is manda- tory; in 90 percent of all cases this argument will be the word now. Init can only capture CTRL-ALT-DEL and start shutdown in console mode. If the system is running the X window System, the X server pro- cesses all key strokes. Some X11 environments make it possible to capture CTRL-ALT-DEL, but what exactly is done with that event depends on that environment. Shutdown wasn't designed to be run setuid. /etc/shutdown.allow is not used to find out who is executing shutdown, it ONLY checks who is currently logged in on (one of the) console(s). AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
fsck(8), init(8), halt(8), poweroff(8), reboot(8) November 12, 2003 SHUTDOWN(8)