Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search based on 1st char of a row. Post 58858 by videsh77 on Friday 3rd of December 2004 07:33:30 AM
Old 12-03-2004
Power

Zazzybob

Though this solves my purpoase,
In future I might need to carry a search on criterias say
on 10th character or on 22nd character & 3 chars wide.

I still dont find logic to associate help on grep, to
solve the above problems also.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using egrep to search for Text and special char

Anyone is well-versed to use egrep to search a file for a line containing both: 1) AAA 2) $ I am having problem escaping the dollar sign when using egrep in conjunction with satisfying AAA as well. E.g. Text file Line 1 AAA Line 2 $$$ Line 3 AAA BBB $ Line 4 $$$ BBB AA will return me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : search a long char contain space

Hi, i have to search for a char like that : export var1="i am not happy /not happy" with a command like : grep $var1 file but this not working with me !!! thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tizilfin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a variable based on newline char

Heeloo all, A weird problem perhaps. May god save others from this problem. I want to print each line from a variable.. the example below should make it clear. smvar="Hello World1 Hello world 2 forgot there I guess" for eachline in $smvar echo $eachline end Whats for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavanlimo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search null and char in file

Hi guys, I want to know how i can search null value and character value in a feed file. my file has Pipe delimted records. for eg: 1|12|xxx|yyy . . . N records I know the the which column null and char occurs does it has for eg 3rd column which i can obtain by awk $3 and (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a row

Hi, I would like to capture rows having the following format : BIND dn="uid=euser00,ou=people,o=example.com" except "euser00" which is user id, others should remain as it is. Here is what I can try so far : BIND dn="\s*?uid=s* Also, people or example can be of any case (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search distinct special char in file

hi, i need to search distinct special character from a file which is a pipe delimited from a specific column for eg: input file.txt aa|bb|cc|$abc aa|bb|ccc|#abol bb|xss|ddd|$xyz nn|yyy|qqq|=qqqq abe|qqq|yyy|=aaa aaa|yyy|zzzz|#aaaa . . . my desired output $ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search row by row from one file to another file if match is found print few colums of file 2

this is the requirement list.txt table1 table2 table3 testfile.txt name#place#data#select * from table1 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 innerjoin table3 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 output name place table1 name2 place table3 i tried using awk (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsekumar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to mark the row based on col value.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to identify the records based on one column value. the sample file as below: ID AMT, AMT1 100,10, 2 100,20, 3 200,30, 0 200, 40, 0 300, 20, 2 300, 50, 2 400, 20, 1 400, 60, 0 for each ID, there 2 records, if any one record amt1 is 0, the in 4th col add... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a certain char and insert new text if a match found

Have a file which has the create statement like below create table emp ( empno integer, empname char(50)) primary index(empno); i need to find a string starting with create and ends with semi-colon ;. if so insert the below statement before create statement rename table emp to emp_rename;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting single row into multiple rows based on for every 10 digits of last field of the row

Hi ALL, We have requirement in a file, i have multiple rows. Example below: Input file rows 01,1,102319,0,0,70,26,U,1,331,000000113200000011920000001212 01,1,102319,0,1,80,20,U,1,241,00000059420000006021 I need my output file should be as mentioned below. Last field should split for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotra
4 Replies
ISWDIGIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWDIGIT(3)

NAME
iswdigit - test for decimal digit wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswdigit(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswdigit() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isdigit(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "digit". The wide-character class "digit" is a subclass of the wide-character class "xdigit", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", of the wide-character class "graph" and of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide character class "print", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "alpha" and therefore also disjoint from its subclasses "lower", "upper". The wide-character class "digit" always contains exactly the digits '0' to '9'. RETURN VALUE
The iswdigit() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "digit". Otherwise it returns zero. CONFORMING TO
C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswdigit() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isdigit(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 ISWDIGIT(3)