Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: combined stdout & stderr
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users combined stdout & stderr Post 58493 by slavam on Monday 22nd of November 2004 07:22:00 PM
Old 11-22-2004
Thank you for the reply.
Nop, unfortunately it does not work, zazzybob. Does C Shell understand 3>&1 1>&2 2>&3?
I'm getting “Ambiguous output redirect”. And I'm getting the same error message while I was trying different combinations of >& and tee... which means to me C shell does not want to see anything after >&. Or I'm able to create log file with stderr in it, but getting nothing to terminal window. I could not imagine it would be so tricky...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting stderr & stdout output lively modified

This is about getting all output to stderr and stdout localized. Nothing to do with redirecting output to a file (there already are some interesting threads about that issue on this forum). What I intend to do is capturing all lines of text sent to the screen, compare them with an array of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: teo ramirez
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
ctod(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ctod(1)

Name
       ctod - combine DDIS objects into DOTS format

Syntax
       ctod [ -x ] object.ddis

Description
       The  command  combines  a  DDIS encoded object into a Data Object Transport Syntax (DOTS) format, which is written to standard output.  The
       object may contain references to other DDIS files.  The purpose of is to create a single file from multiple references to other	files,	in
       order to transfer or move DDIS objects from one location to another.

object.ddis  is a file name, or a minus sign (-) for standard input.  If a minus sign is specified, or if no file name is present, standard
       input is read.  The named object and its external references, if any, are combined into a DOTS data stream which  is  written  to  standard
       output.

Because a DOTS stream contains binary data, output should be redirected to a file or a pipe.

Options
       -x   Specifies that is to DOTS encode the input file without resolving any external references present in the file.  This option is for use
	    only with files containing no external references.

Restrictions
       The only DDIS object types supported in this release are DDIF and DTIF.

Diagnostics
       The exit status is 0 if all files were combined successfully and 1 if any of the files could not be combined.  Consult `standard error'	to
       see what files failed, and why.

If  the	-x  option  is	used  and contains any external references, returns an error status of 1, and writes an error message to `standard
       error'.

See Also
       dtoc(1), DDIS(5), DDIF(5), DTIF(5), DOTS(5)

ctod(1)