Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with comp built for Linux.. Post 57993 by locustfurnace on Thursday 11th of November 2004 02:11:20 PM
Old 11-11-2004
Thats a very old version of Caldera's OpenLinux packaged with the book. If the hardware is much newer, (which it is) then you most likely will have issues getting it to work.
I used OpenLinux a long long time ago, and it worked back on my then newer 200mhz box. But I've never gotten it to work on any of the newer equipment since then.

Does the monitor show anything at all, such as the POST? Which would be the memory counting, and alittle info about the hardware.

If this is true, then what you might be meaning is that the X server does not work. And that would be due to being such an old version of the X server not able to work with your monitor & video card.

Since you say you reformatted the drive, that means you had your hands inside the case, it is possible, seen this happen alot, where someone removes a hardware item and accidently bumps the video card slightly, thus causing the card to loosen in the slot. Try re-seating the video card. Completely remove it and then re-insert the card.

It is possible the first time, the X server failed to work, giving you a blank screen, and when you removed the hard drive, you bumped the card, so that the card now is the issue, while the first time was the X server.

Look for signs of the bios working, by the beeps or if you have a Optical mouse, if the mouse lights up. Not the surest sign, but it should give alittle clue.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

comp hardware comparing

www.insaen.nl (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk8parkinsaen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMP-3 File transmission

Guys, i need to transfer a file which contains both display and comp-3 fields from unix to mainframe. Cyberfusion , FTP doesn't work since they treat display and comp-3 fields same. Any Solution in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks, Sharif.S (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharifhere
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comp-3 conversion possible with Shell Scripting or PERL?

I guess the subject asks it all, but I am wondering (before I go and code a COBOL module) if conversion of regular ASCII data to COMP-3 is possible on a UNIX environment (AIX 5.1)? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Dave (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
13 Replies

4. HP-UX

Built for hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00..problem with make

make --version in parent server ( server in france) gives me the below information GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath. Built for hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00 Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
0 Replies

5. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in ftpying the datasets containing comp values to AIX from mainframe

Hi, When i am trying to ftp COBOL generated data sets which contain comp values to AIX in ASCII mode. the comp values are getting corrupted. If i ftp the data set in binary mode it is working properly, but for this i have to change some compiler options in the COBOL. Also if i want to use the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash built-in

Is there any command or VARIABLE in unix to display only bash builtin commands?. Some days back I worked on that, but now I do not remember. Can anyone please reply for this?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Desktop System with no built in video card on linux

hi I would like to ask some of the expert advice on my propose project. I going to assemble a high end desktop system before i quit my job. I had a laptop with linux and win7 pro for just incase bored and need some spare time gaming with nice graphics. My plan is to assemble a i7 processor model... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

9. Hardware

mobo with built-in ssd and linux

hi, thinking of building a system around this mobo: GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD. this has an ssd built-in to the mobo that serves as a cache for the sata drives. does linux have a chance of working on this? or is it going to get confused. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtayek
6 Replies
OPENSC-TOOL(1)							   OpenSC Tools 						    OPENSC-TOOL(1)

NAME
opensc-tool - generic smart card utility SYNOPSIS
opensc-tool [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The opensc-tool utility can be used from the command line to perform miscellaneous smart card operations such as getting the card ATR or sending arbitrary APDU commands to a card. OPTIONS
--atr, -a Print the Answer To Reset (ATR) of the card. Output is in hex byte format --card-driver driver, -c driver Use the given card driver. The default is auto-detected. --info, -i Print information about OpenSC, such as version and enabled components. --list-drivers, -D List all installed card drivers. --list-files, -f Recursively list all files stored on card. --list-readers, -l List all configured readers. --name, -n Print the name of the inserted card (driver). --reader num, -r num Use the given reader number. The default is 0, the first reader in the system. --send-apdu apdu, -s apdu Sends an arbitrary APDU to the card in the format AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF.... --serial Print the card serial number (normally the ICCSN). Output is in hex byte format --verbose, -v Causes opensc-tool to be more verbose. Specify this flag several times to enable debug output in the opensc library. --wait, -w Wait for a card to be inserted. SEE ALSO
opensc-explorer(1) opensc 06/17/2014 OPENSC-TOOL(1)