Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Implicit Ping
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Implicit Ping Post 57956 by Neo on Wednesday 10th of November 2004 03:38:28 PM
Old 11-10-2004
There are myriad ways to do this at the application level. Most are actually better (from an information management) than ping because they use information at a higher level in the protocol stack.

You can either using (1) polling or (2) sending a trap. Ping is an example of a polling technique. An SNMP trap is an example of a trap, obviously.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

gcc warnings: implicit declaration of function...

I am having strange warnings from gcc compiler, which I don't think should come while cmpiling. Can anyone help? The warnings are: - warning: implicit declaration of function 'bzero' - warning: implicit declaration of function 'inet_addr' The code is as below: int main(int argc, char... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahsan
2 Replies

2. AIX

Implicit login in AIX

only wanted to know .. if I have some tivoli jobs running with different user .. will this mean that everytime the job invokes .. the .profile runs for that user ... or is it that the .profile runs only at explicit LOGINs ... e.g if a cron calls a job under some user, does it run the .profile of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_149
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP/implicit SSL

Hi, I want to FTP can some one help me how do I do this manually from unix command line Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridatos
2 Replies

4. Programming

implicit declaration of function 'reboot'

Hi, I'm tying to use the following function to reboot the system as part of my code #include <unistd.h> #include <linux/reboot.h> int restart(unsigned int delay) { sleep(delay); return reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART); } When I try to compile the code I get the warning in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galapogos
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automating ftp job using implicit ssl?

Can this be done? Or do you need some other program installed on the AIX box? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

6. SuSE

RPM implicit dependencies

Hi, I'm having issues with implicit dependencies for my RPM package. This is the error I'm getting: error: Failed dependencies: libclntsh.so.11.1()(64bit) is needed by geomatica-10.4-0.x86_64 Our software has a dynamically loaded library which links to the Oracle's libclntsh.so.11.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pneveu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP over implicit TSL - for dummies

Here are the essentials: un: myuser pw: mypasswd site: sftp.somesite.com port: 990 type: FTPS enc: FTP over implicit TLS program used: Curl 7.1.x on Hpux 11.31 I would like to "put" 1 file on there server. Here is my syntax, what am I doing wrong? curl -3 -v --cacert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP over implicit TLS

Here are the essentials: un: myuser pw: mypasswd site: sftp.somesite.com port: 990 type: FTPS enc: FTP over implicit TLS program used: Curl 7.1.x on Hpux 11.31 I would like to "put" 1 file on there server. Here is my syntax, what am I doing wrong? curl -3 -v --cacert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Implicit FTPS error on Citrix Sharefile

Hi, I have to upload a file to a remote Citrix Sharefile server using implicit FTPS. But the problem I'm facing is that when the FTPS UNIX script is called through a GUI tool; it keeps on running and after forcibly killing that job, if I try to connect the same server directly from the UNIX box... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
1 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)						   User Commands					     asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)

NAME
jms-ping - checks to see if the JMS provider is up and running SYNOPSIS
jms-ping --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--passwordfile filename] [--secure|-s] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=false] Checks to see if the JMS provider is up and running. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. Example 1: Using jms-ping asadmin> jms-ping --user admin --password adminadmin --host bluestar --port 4848 server1 JMS Ping Status=RUNNING EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-jmsdest(1AS), asadmin-delete-jmsdest(1AS), asadmin-list-jmsdest(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)