Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to space columns in a report Post 57951 by turbulence on Wednesday 10th of November 2004 03:00:37 PM
Old 11-10-2004
Trying to space columns in a report

I have a program that calculates shipping cost for an item and prints the information to a file. I cannot seem to get the lines to print with equal spacing in columns.

I need data like this to be aligned into columns:

Optical Mouse 5 A $25
Compaq Presario 3 C $100
PS2 2 D $18

I am trying to use awk to do it but having no luck.

Code:
echo "$Name;$Quantity;$Class;$Total" | awk -F";" '{printf "%s %10s %10s %10s\n", $1, $2, $3, $4}' >> ShipInfo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to add space in between columns in VI editor

Hi, I am trying to add space after 3rd and 6th column for editing a file in special format. How should I achieve in VI?. So, is it possible to do in it in sed ? thanks vipa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with delimiting columns with a space

Hi all, i am writting a script to fix some problems we have with data that we need that contains 1000s of records. I have a text file with 3 columns of data. The problem is there should be a space between the end of the first column and the start of the second column. The majority of the data is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a space delimited text file

I have a space delimited text file with 1,000,000+ columns and 100 rows. I want to delete columns 2 through 5 (2 and 5) included from the text file. How do I do that? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed: remove space between certain columns

dear all, i have a data looks like this (i have 3000 columns): rs123 A T T G C C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A ... rs154 T T G C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... rs126 A C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... I want to remove all the space after the 2nd column and make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Columns to rows with space

Hi, My input is in the following way a b c d e f I would like to have it printed as a b c d e f Any awk scripts are appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Romove columns and replace a space with a character

Hi, I have a file containing this: testvol1 unix enabled testvol2 unix enabled testvol3 unix enabled testvol3 qtree1 unix enabled testvol3 qtree2 unix enabled testvol4 unix enabled testvol4 qtree1 unix enabled And I want an output of this: testvol1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niap21
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file

I have a data file where three data sets are written in three columns. Can I increase the space between the columns without reading them? Also can I insert particular patterns, say comma between 1st and 2nd column and colon between 2nd and 3rd column? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How convert space separated list to matched columns?

Hi I have been racking my (limited) brains to get this to work without success I have a file output which is a list of lists - ie a single column of data that is separated by space into sub lists below - I need to both split this so that each list is in a separate column (eg tab or semicolon... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manchesterpaul
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space in specific column among many columns

Hello, I have some problem in inserting the space for the pairs of columns. I have the input file : I used this code below in replacing it using space in specific column (replace space in each two columns) sed -e "s/,/ /2" -e "s/,/ /3" inputfile Output showed : However, I have many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awil
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to print columns with space

Hello I am trying to pull specific columns from an output file that contains spaces and make it a variable.. Here is a piece of the output file and my command: Host1 UNIX /vol/volume/my stuff When I pull in the data into my variable the word stuff is left off - I need this as part of my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmalvest
10 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD