Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Convert Binary data to ascii data Post 57765 by norsk hedensk on Friday 5th of November 2004 12:15:18 PM
Old 11-05-2004
they are utilities to convert files to each respective format. if you dont have them installed on your system already, go to freshmeat.net and search for them. they are available for download there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert ASCII to BINARY

Here is what I did . . . . I FTP'd several *.pdf files from a web site to a UNIX server, and did not set the transfer mode to BIN, now Adobe thinks that the documents are corrupted. Is there a way to convert the *.pdf files to Binary so that Adobe can open them again. I would just re-download... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to convert Binary files to ascii

Dear Experts I need to read a binary file. I know for example in byte number 3801-3804 there is a 4 byte number embeded. Is there a way to extract this number from this file and then convert it to ascii via unix?? Your help would be highly appreciated. Very Best Regards Reza (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
5 Replies

3. Programming

trying to convert binary data to text using C++

i hav tried to convert binary 2D data into text using binreader and writing into text file using streamwriter. i use ReadSingle() function to convert from binary to ascii, although it works good in 1D data but not in more dimensions. the kind of values i get are -1.265369923E+038 and like ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check the file data type(ascii or binary)

hi i am receiving a file from one system , i have to verify the format of the file data i.e whether the data is in acii format or binary format, please help thanks in advance satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert data from ASCII to Packed Decimal

Hi All, Please let me know if it is possible to convert data from ASCII to Packed Decimal through Unix? Basically we have ASCII file with numeric data we want to convert that files data to Packed decimal format to send it to main frame. Please let me know if we can do it through unix script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloktiwary
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert row data to column data

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: a 1 b 786 c 90709 d 99 a 9875 b 989 c 887 d 111 I want: a 1 9875 b 786 989 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestion to convert data in rows to data in columns

Hello everyone! I have a huge dataset looking like this: nameX nameX 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 ............... nameY nameY 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 ..... nameB nameB 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 ..... (can be several thousands of codes) and I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert column data to row data using shell script

Hi, I want to convert a 3-column data to 3-row data using shell script. Any suggestion in this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert files from binary to ASCII

I have a huge files in binary format thanks to help me in finding a way to convert these files from Binary format to ASCII format. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRINCESS_RORO
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - binary data to ascii code

Hello, With bash-script (ubunto server) I'm trying to read a binary file and, for each character, give back its ascii code (including extended ascii). For example: HEX => ASCII => PRINT f5 => 245 => õ 50 => 80 => P To load the binary file into a variable I tried in this way: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: math4
2 Replies
SMBGET(1)																 SMBGET(1)

NAME
smbget - wget-like utility for download files over SMB SYNOPSIS
smbget [-a,--guest] [-r,--resume] [-R,--recursive] [-u,--username=STRING] [-p,--password=STRING] [-w,--workgroup=STRING] [-n,--nonprompt] [-d,--debuglevel=INT] [-D,--dots] [-P,--keep-permissions] [-o,--outputfile] [-f,--rcfile] [-q,--quiet] [-v,--verbose] [-b,--blocksize] [-?,--help] [--usage] {smb://host/share/path/to/file} [smb://url2/] [...] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbget is a simple utility with wget-like semantics, that can download files from SMB servers. You can specify the files you would like to download on the command-line. The files should be in the smb-URL standard, e.g. use smb://host/share/file for the UNC path \HOSTSHAREfile. OPTIONS
-a, --guest Work as user guest -r, --resume Automatically resume aborted files -R, --recursive Recursively download files -u, --username=STRING Username to use -p, --password=STRING Password to use -w, --workgroup=STRING Workgroup to use (optional) -n, --nonprompt Don't ask anything (non-interactive) -d, --debuglevel=INT Debuglevel to use -D, --dots Show dots as progress indication -P, --keep-permissions Set same permissions on local file as are set on remote file. -o, --outputfile Write the file that is being download to the specified file. Can not be used together with -R. -f, --rcfile Use specified rcfile. This will be loaded in the order it was specified - e.g. if you specify any options before this one, they might get overriden by the contents of the rcfile. -q, --quiet Be quiet -v, --verbose Be verbose -b, --blocksize Number of bytes to download in a block. Defaults to 64000. -?, --help Show help message --usage Display brief usage message SMB URLS
SMB URL's should be specified in the following format: smb://[[[domain;]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] smb:// means all the workgroups smb://name/ means, if name is a workgroup, all the servers in this workgroup, or if name is a server, all the shares on this server. EXAMPLES
# Recursively download 'src' directory smbget -R smb://rhonwyn/jelmer/src # Download FreeBSD ISO and enable resuming smbget -r smb://rhonwyn/isos/FreeBSD5.1.iso # Recursively download all ISOs smbget -Rr smb://rhonwyn/isos # Backup my data on rhonwyn smbget -Rr smb://rhonwyn/ BUGS
Permission denied is returned in some cases where the cause of the error is unknown (such as an illegally formatted smb:// url or trying to get a directory without -R turned on). VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The smbget manpage was written by Jelmer Vernooij. SMBGET(1)