Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System will not start
Operating Systems SCO System will not start Post 57572 by karlb1 on Tuesday 2nd of November 2004 08:14:31 AM
Old 11-02-2004
System will not start

I am running OpenServer 5.0.5a on a Compaq Proliant 800. When trying to start the system it goes through loading everything and at the end I get the following message.

WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
H iinit ime Loadable Driver May be requiredG drain8042
PANIC: srmontfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)
Error 19 opening dumpdev (1/41)

Dump not completed

** Safe to Power Off **
-or-
** Press Any Key to Reboot **

Compaq had me run a diagnostic on the hard drive an it tested okay.

I would appreciate any help anyone would have.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xend cannot start in my system

Hi all,,i'm sorry if my post is repost..but i'm need help about my problem... My specifications is : Sony Vaio VGN CR-323 Intel Dual-Core T2390(1.86 GHz) Memory 2GB DDR Harddisk 200GB with Debian lenny 2.6.26-1-686 i'm install xen via apt-get install xen blah..blah blah root@hell:~#... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demhyt
4 Replies

4. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding hdparm to system start-up

Hi, I have read about a vulnerability that allows to lock any IDE/SATA hard drive with a password, unless the BIOS "freezes" the drive's (no-password) status. Even though less secure, this protection can also be archieved by software (only few BIOSes have that feature). hdparm offers a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gunther
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing script at system start up

Hi I had written a piece of script . Please let me know is it possible to run / execute this script at system startup ?? Thanks in advance . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start system console in ELOM?

Hi, The system is Sun x4150. I use putty ssh to access to it. I can't start system console: (hung) Any help will be greatly appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Script on system reboot

Hi, I have the following script that looks for a certain file and then executes the start.sh file. How can i make this process to kick when the box reboots. Please advice if ; then /u01/Essbase/Oracle//Middleware/user_projects/epmsystem7/bin/start.sh; rm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
format(1M)																format(1M)

NAME
format - format an HP SCSI disk array LUN SYNOPSIS
device_file DESCRIPTION
formats one LUN of the HP SCSI disk array associated with device file, device_file. The format will usually be a soft or zeroing format, in which the controller writes zeroes to the data area and parity area, if any, of the LUN. NOTE: The above should always be true of a sub-LUN, but the controller might decide, based on certain conditions, to do a full format of a regular LUN, which consists of sending a mode select and a media initialization command to the physical drive(s) in question, fol- lowed by zeroing the data and parity area, if any. The conditions which will cause a full format to be done are as follows: 1. The controller received a Mode Select command which requires a drive sector size change. 2. The controller received a Mode Select command which changed a parameter in the Format Device Page(0x03). 3. The LUN contains one or more failed drives. In this case only a certain subset of the drives containing the failed drives will be formatted. 4. Either the FmtData or the CmpLst bit in the Format Unit CDB is set. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 Successful completion. -1 Command failed. DIAGNOSTICS AND ERRORS
Errors can originate from problems with: o o SCSI (device level) communications o system calls Error messages generated by format: An error in command syntax has occurred. Enter command again with all required arguments, in the order shown. To ensure that does not modify a disk array that is being used by another process, attempts to obtain exclusive access to the disk array. If the disk array is already opened by another process (for example, LVM -- the Logical Volume Manager), a "" error message is returned by the driver. To eliminate the "" condition, determine what process has the device open. In the case of LVM, it is necessary to deactivate the volume group containing the array before formatting array LUNs (see vgchange(1M)). The LUN number, which is derived from the device file name, is out of range. The addressed LUN is not configured, and thus is not known to the array controller. Utilities must be able to open the device file for raw access. The device being addressed is not an HP SCSI disk array. SCSI (device level) communication errors: Sense data associated with the failed operation is printed. Error messages generated by system calls: uses the following system calls: and Documentation for these HP-UX system calls contains information about the specific error conditions associated with each call. does not alter the value of The interpretation of for printing purposes is performed by the system utility EXAMPLES
To format the HP SCSI disk array LUN on a Series 800: WARNING
The command will destroy all user data on the addressed LUN. DEPENDENCIES
The HP C2425 and HP C2427 disk arrays are only supported on Series 700 systems running HP-UX version 9.0X. The HP C2430 disk array is supported on Series 700 and 800 systems running HP-UX versions 9.0X and 10.0X. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. format(1M)