Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check if path is present? Post 57568 by svennie on Tuesday 2nd of November 2004 05:13:39 AM
Old 11-02-2004
MySQL I've found the solution...

no help needed anymore...thx

The test command evaluates the expression expr and, if its value is True, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise, a nonzero (false) exit status is returned. test also returns a nonzero exit status if there are no arguments. The following primitives are used to construct expr: -r file True if file exists and is readable.
-w file True if file exists and is writable.
-x file True if file exists and is executable.
-f file True if file exists and is a regular file.
-d file True if file exists and is a directory.
-c file True if file exists and is a character special file.
-b file True if file exists and is a block special file.
-p file True if file exists and is a named pipe (fifo).
-u file True if file exists and its set-user-ID bit is set.
-g file True if file exists and its set-group-ID bit is set.
-k file True if file exists and its sticky bit is set.
-s file True if file exists and has a size greater than zero.
-h file True if file exists and is a symbolic link.
-t [fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device.
-z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero.
-n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero.
s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical.
s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical.
s1 True if s1 is not the null string.
n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le can be used in place of -eq.

These primaries can be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator.
-a Binary AND operator.
-o Binary OR operator (-a has higher precedence than -o).
( expr ) Parentheses for grouping.

------

by the way, go back to the Input by while->break....

------

also have a look here...

http://www.washington.edu/computing/...g/125/ctl.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check the actual path instead of link path

Hi I have a path link /test/df/link1/actual/file1 here link1 is actually a softlink link1= a/b i need to print the ACTUAL FULL path instead of a linked path is there any direct command to print the actual path of any linked path eg showPhyscialPath /test/df/link1/actual/file1 and it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether the pattern is present or not?

I want to determine whether a specific pattern is present within a line or not e.g. The whole line is in a varaible called VALUE VALUE="(ABC, DEF, NMF, ABC, CLF, PAR, FHG, AGQSAs, sada, sa, ABC)" i want to set a flag to 1 if i find the presence of ABC in the above variable. Please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get path and check in if statement

Hi, I was wondering if it possible to get the path of a variable and compare that to something. Basically I want to write a script that checks if my $JAVA_HOME is correct and if not then it sets it. So far I have... if ] then export JAVA_HOME='/pathhere' echo JAVA_HOME='/pathhere' fi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if specified path is in $PATH

echo $PATH | grep "\/usr\/ucb" is not working using sh-posix The problem is very simle. I want to check '/usr/ucb' is in the PATH environment variable. If i simply grep '/usr/ucb' i might got wrong result eg '/usr/ucb/bin'. After the path an end of line or colon character should be. In... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpeter75
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the variable is present in array or not ?

Hi , I am trying to check wether the variable is present in the array. please see the below code .when ever i do this its taking only the first value of the array . please advise. ###Code Snnipet ### #!/bin/ksh set -xv if ]; then echo " you have Specified the ORG ID - $1 " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padhu.47
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether 3 files are present

I'm trying to check whether 3 files are existing and send 3 files as attachements. If only two are there then send those two files as attachments. if ; then elif ; then I tired the above given syntax and then it is giving me an error line 11: ' I tried with -a instead of && and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check whether list file present in TXT file exist or not

Hi All, I have txt file which has list of files. I have to check whether these files exist or not. Thanks supriya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)