Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: checking Processes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers checking Processes Post 57428 by modemer on Wednesday 27th of October 2004 01:28:44 PM
Old 10-27-2004
Normally I use "ps -ef" to list all processes what I can see as a normal user. But if you are root, you should see more processes depending on different OS and config.

By the way, I have a similar question that is:

How to list process with full executable file path? Answers for OS dependency is O.K. to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Return Codes of Background Processes

I'm trying to do the following: 1) Run a bunch of jobs in the background 2) Determine if any one of them returns with a non-zero exit status Here's what I've come up with so far: ########################################## #!/bin/ksh while } -lt 1024 ] do SLEEP_TIME=`expr 1024 -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bergerj3
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

processes

write a program create two processes to run a for loop which adds numbers 1 to n , say one process adds odd numbers and other adds even numbers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaram_miryabb
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking before start and stop processes

Hi, I have 2 start and stop sh. Start sh -------- This will start few processes. Example code: echo "start process : lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs" nohup lgz200 /db=test/test1@test1 /pipe=test_jobs > ../log/lgz200_j.log & echo "echo \"stop process (pid=$!): lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs\"" >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maldini
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop for checking processes

Hi Gang, I need part of my script to be able to loop, check for processes running and if they aren't running, start them. It needs to loop 5 times, do a check each time, and make sure a process starts, and if its running; skip it. I've worked with loops and checking for processes before,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies

8. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking for processes in Linux

I want to check processes on my Linux server Normally we do a ps-ef|grep "search code" Now we want to check for certain processes which are up and running and we want to get an email, whenever the processes we are checking goes down? How can i implement this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris zones - checking processes and lofs file system

Hi all, q1) If i am in a global-zone, is there any command or anyway to check if a particular process in "ps -ef" output is running in which zone ? q2) if i have created and mount a lofs filesystem/mountpoint for my non-global zone, can i say the following e.g. /dev/md/dsk/d60 /data --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies
NOAUTH(5)							AFS File Reference							 NOAUTH(5)

NAME
NoAuth - Disables authorization checking DESCRIPTION
The NoAuth file, if present in a server machine's /var/lib/openafs/local directory, indicates to the AFS server processes running on the machine that it is not necessary to perform authorization checking. They perform any action for any user who logs into the machine's local file system or issues a remote command that affects the machine's AFS server functioning, such as commands from the AFS command suites. Because failure to check authorization exposes the machine's AFS server functionality to attack, there are normally only two circumstances in which the file is present: o During installation of the machine, as instructed in the OpenAFS Quick Start Guide. o During correction of a server encryption key emergency, as discussed in the OpenAFS Administration Guide. In all other circumstances, the absence of the file means that the AFS server processes perform authorization checking, verifying that the issuer of a command has the required privilege. Create the file in one of the following ways: o By issuing the bosserver initialization command with the -noauth flag, if the Basic OverSeer (BOS) Server is not already running. o By issuing the bos setauth command with off as the value for the -authrequired argument, if the BOS Server is already running. To remove the file, issue the bos setauth command with "on" as the value for the -authrequired argument. The file's contents, if any, are ignored; an empty (zero-length) file is effective. SEE ALSO
bos_setauth(8), bosserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 NOAUTH(5)