Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Path autocompletion in ksh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Path autocompletion in ksh Post 57377 by google on Tuesday 26th of October 2004 05:59:28 AM
Old 10-26-2004
Just for information, you can see the options you have enabled by typing set -o at the command prompt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining absolute PATH within KSH script

Hey everyone, I'd like to determine the absolute path of where a script resides from within the same script. For example, I have a script - /tmp/myscript. Regardless of how that script is call - '/tmp/myscript', 'cd /tmp;./myscript', '. /tmp/myscript' - I'd like to be able to determine - from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Full path of executing script in ksh?

Hello all, Here's the scenario: I've got a script, let's call it script1. This script invokes another script, which we'll call set_env, via the dot "." command, like so: File: #!/bin/ksh # region_id=DEV . set_env ${region_id} and so on. Script set_env sets up an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BriceBu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

4. AIX

korn prompt autocompletion possible ?

My client`s system is an AIX 4.2 and using the Kron shell. I was just wondering if it is possible to have the prompt autocompletion enabled on it without changing shell version. By autocompletion, I mean to automatically complete the filenames or directories we type in using the Tab key. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to get autocompletion on !

Hi, Previously, if I type !cp <tab> the last cp command would come automatically. However, something has changed recently with my system. I am unable to get a autocomplete !cp <tab> now. Where can I look for the changes ? Any idea what might have caused it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolket
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias a full path in ksh

Hi again, Maybe a stupid question but I don't know how to solve it.. I want to alias a full_PATH_command.. I mean: /usr/bin/df -Ik TO sudo /usr/bin/df I used alias df='sudo df' but the command run is /usr/bin/df.. Any idea on how to make this alias? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

binaries PATH check in a ksh script

The situation is a data center with around 800 servers. Each server has installed one of these unix-like OS: rhel, sunos, aix, hp-ux. And we have to make scripts general enough to being able to be executed over all these servers. Furthermore, sometimes the scripts will be executed as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asanchez
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"╭─ " Character combo in $PATH causes strange autocompletion behavior in zsh

I've posted about this before, but only recently narrowed the problem down to a specific cause. Ok, first of all, the behavior: It occurs when autocompletion brings up its list (not when there is only a single option). Basically, if I were to type, say, cd ~/<TAB> I would get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set PATH through ksh shell

I'm trying to set path for the current session but it is not doing so. It works perfectly on command line though. #!/usr/bin/ksh PATH=$PATH:/opt/quest/bin Is there any specific way to set path on korn? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
prompter(1)						      General Commands Manual						       prompter(1)

NAME
prompter - prompting editor front-end (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
prompter [options] file OPTIONS
Adds text to the beginning of the message body, so that the rest of the body follows. This is useful for the forw command. You can sup- press this behavior by using the -noprepend option. Causes the text not to be displayed on your terminal if the draft already contains text in the message-body. This is useful for low-speed terminals. You can suppress this behavior by using the -norapid option. Specifies the line-editing characters, where char may be a character or nn, where nnn is the octal value for the character. Specifies the line- editing characters, where char may be a character or nn, where nnn is the octal value for the character. The first argument to prompter which is not an option is taken as the name of the draft file, and subsequent non-option arguments are ignored. The default settings for prompter are: -prepend -norapid DESCRIPTION
The prompter editor is a rudimentary editor provided by comp, dist, forw, and repl. It is automatically called by the above commands; you do not need to specify it. The prompter editor allows rapid composition of messages. It is particularly useful to network and low-speed (less than 2400 baud) users of MH. The prompter editor is an MH program. Although is not invoked directly, it can have its own profile entry with options; see mh_profile(4). The comp, dist, forw, and repl commands invoke prompter in one of three ways: when invoked with the -editor prompter option; by an entry in the file; or by a command at the What now? prompt. If you do not specify an editor in any of these ways, MH provides prompter as the default editor for all of these commands. For information on how to use a different editor with MH commands, see the reference pages for the appropriate commands, and also mh_pro- file(4). Composing a Message with prompter When you create a message with an MH command, the mail system provides a message template for you to fill in. This template consists of two parts: the message header, comprising a number of header fields; and the body of the message, which is the area where you type the text of your message. The prompter editor displays each header field, one at a time, for you to fill in. Fill in the component by typing the text that you want. Type <RETURN> to move onto the next component. Once you have moved on from a header field, you cannot edit what you have entered. If you want to leave a header field empty, simply type <RETURN>. You can continue a header field over one line by typing a back-slash () before the <RETURN>. Continuation lines must start with a blank (a space or a tab). The start of the message body is indicated by a blank line or a line of dashes. If you are creating a new message, the cursor is placed beneath this line to allow you to enter text. If there is already some body text in the message (for example, if you are using an existing draft, or if you are forwarding a message), you will receive a prompt: --------Enter additional text or: --------Enter initial text The cursor is placed under the prompt to allow you to enter text. To finish the message, type <CTRL/D>. You will then receive a prompt asking What now?. See whatnow(1) for more details of responses. An interrupt, usually <CTRL/C>, during component typing will abort prompter and the MH command that invoked it. An interrupt during mes- sage-body typing is equivalent to <CTRL/D>, for historical reasons. RESTRICTIONS
The prompter editor will not work with files with nulls in them. PROFILE COMPONENTS
prompter-next: To name the editor to be used on exit from prompter Msg-Protect: To set protections when creating a new draft FILES
The user profile. Temporary copy of message. SEE ALSO
comp(1), dist(1), forw(1), repl(1), whatnow(1), mh_profile(4) prompter(1)