Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help on sed (replace string without changing filename) Post 57240 by zazzybob on Thursday 21st of October 2004 10:08:33 AM
Old 10-21-2004
Create a script, let's say "foo.sh" with the following code

Code:
#!/bin/sh

for file in /path/to/my/files/*
do
  sed 's/stringA/stringB/g' $file > $file.new
  mv $file.new $file
done

exit 0

Make the script executable
$ chmod u+x foo.sh

Then run it (assuming it's in the current directory)
$ ./foo.sh

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and replace string in filename

Hi, I've a filename of this format: "XXX_XXX_TXT.TAR.AS". Need to change the name into this format: "XXX_XXX.TAR.AS". This file resides in a directory. I'm ok with using the find command to search and display it. Essentially I just need to replace the string "_TXT.TAR.AS" to ".TAR.AS". Is awk... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: chengwei
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a filename with full path using sed

hi, i need to replace a line a file with a new raw device location.. original file.. /opt/sybase/ASE1502/ASE-15_0/bin/dataserver \ -d/data/TST_AKS1/sybdevices/master.dat \ -e/logs/sybase/TST_AKS1/SFO_TST_AKS1.log \ -c/apps/sybase/ASE1502/ASE-15_0/TST_AKS1.cfg \... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksaravanan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace pattern with filename

Hi all, I'm trying to replace a pattern/string in about 100 files with the filename using following commands but getting nowhere: for f in *.fa; do sed "s/^>.*/>$f/g" $f > $f_v1.fa; done for f in *.fa; do sed 's/^>.*/>`echo $f`/' > $fa_v1.fa; done Basically I want to change any line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed- Replace space in filename by a \

`echo $file | sed 's/ / /g'` Hey guys I want help in converting the spaces in my file names to '\ ' . Example: UK maps --> UK\ maps Could someone please help me. I have tried the following sequences already (none of them work): 1)s/ /\ /g 2)s/ /\\ /g 3)s/ /\\\ /g Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies
source(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 source(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
source - Evaluate a file or resource as a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
source fileName source -encoding encodingName fileName | _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command takes the contents of the specified file or resource and passes it to the Tcl interpreter as a text script. The return value from source is the return value of the last command executed in the script. If an error occurs in evaluating the contents of the script then the source command will return that error. If a return command is invoked from within the script then the remainder of the file will be skipped and the source command will return normally with the result from the return command. The end-of-file character for files is "32" (^Z) for all platforms. The source command will read files up to this character. This restriction does not exist for the read or gets commands, allowing for files containing code and data segments (scripted documents). If you require a "^Z" in code for string comparison, you can use "32" or "u001a", which will be safely substituted by the Tcl interpreter into "^Z". The -encoding option is used to specify the encoding of the data stored in fileName. When the -encoding option is omitted, the system | encoding is assumed. EXAMPLE
Run the script in the file foo.tcl and then the script in the file bar.tcl: source foo.tcl source bar.tcl Alternatively: foreach scriptFile {foo.tcl bar.tcl} { source $scriptFile } SEE ALSO
file(n), cd(n), encoding(n), info(n) KEYWORDS
file, script Tcl source(n)