Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help on sed (replace string without changing filename) Post 57238 by jjoves on Thursday 21st of October 2004 10:04:39 AM
Old 10-21-2004
Im not familiar with script writing - but I tried to create a file with the following code you had then ran

sed -f script

and nothing happen.

how would I execute those script?

THANKS -- I dont normally do this type of work but your help is much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and replace string in filename

Hi, I've a filename of this format: "XXX_XXX_TXT.TAR.AS". Need to change the name into this format: "XXX_XXX.TAR.AS". This file resides in a directory. I'm ok with using the find command to search and display it. Essentially I just need to replace the string "_TXT.TAR.AS" to ".TAR.AS". Is awk... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: chengwei
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a filename with full path using sed

hi, i need to replace a line a file with a new raw device location.. original file.. /opt/sybase/ASE1502/ASE-15_0/bin/dataserver \ -d/data/TST_AKS1/sybdevices/master.dat \ -e/logs/sybase/TST_AKS1/SFO_TST_AKS1.log \ -c/apps/sybase/ASE1502/ASE-15_0/TST_AKS1.cfg \... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksaravanan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace pattern with filename

Hi all, I'm trying to replace a pattern/string in about 100 files with the filename using following commands but getting nowhere: for f in *.fa; do sed "s/^>.*/>$f/g" $f > $f_v1.fa; done for f in *.fa; do sed 's/^>.*/>`echo $f`/' > $fa_v1.fa; done Basically I want to change any line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed- Replace space in filename by a \

`echo $file | sed 's/ / /g'` Hey guys I want help in converting the spaces in my file names to '\ ' . Example: UK maps --> UK\ maps Could someone please help me. I have tried the following sequences already (none of them work): 1)s/ /\ /g 2)s/ /\\ /g 3)s/ /\\\ /g Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies
catch(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 catch(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero(0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in varName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
break(1T), continue(1T), error(1T), return(1T), tclvars(1T) KEYWORDS
catch, error ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.0 catch(1T)