Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep and sed to find a pattern and add newline Post 57036 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of October 2004 05:35:44 PM
Old 10-15-2004
Code:
awk '
  BEGIN{FS="."}
  {
    t=$0
    for(i=1 ; i <= NF; i++)
    {
        if ( match($i,"[0-9].* rows merged")> 0)
        {
            print $i
        }
    }
  } ' logfile

Try that as a start.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the pattern followed by newline

Hi I have a problem using grep to find a pattern followed by newline. Here is my file xxxxxxxxxxxpattern patternxxxxxx pattern xxxpattern xxpatternx xxxxxxyyyyxxxx I want the result to be like this xxxxxxxxxxxpattern pattern xxxpattern Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: how to remove newline after pattern?

Hi, I have the following XML not well-indented code: <hallo >this is a line </hallo> So I need to remove the newline. This syntax finds what I need to correct, but I don't know how to remove the newline after my pattern: sed 's/<.*$/&/' How can I subtract the newline after my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nico.ben
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find duplicate and add pattern in sed/awk

<Update> I have the solution: sed 's/\{3\}/&;&;---;4/' The thread can be marked as solved! </Update> Hi There, I'm working on a script processing some data from a website into cvs format. There is only one final problem left I can't find a solution. I've processed my file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lolworlds
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X sed, add newline after pattern

Hi, I've been trying to work out how to add a new line to a file when the pattern matches .dmg. I've been searching Google but yet not found a working solution. Help would be appreciated... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pburge
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk to find pattern and add priffix

Original File Server1|poweredOn|268401| Server1/Server1.vmx|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit) Need Output Server1|poweredOn|DR|T1|268401| Server1/Server1.vmx|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit) Conduction to check find the string "SFCHT1" and "SR" and add prefix has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)