Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX newbie question about hardware for HP-UX 11.i Post 57025 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of October 2004 04:16:48 PM
Old 10-15-2004
The type of 9000 support we get will end at the end of 2006 -
That's why we are leaving the 9000's.

I think the whole product line will be around for a while, but support will be expensive.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware question?

Does anyone know how to install a second Ethernet adapter on a Sun Sparc 10? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

I am fairly new to *nix/linux and I have just installed SuSe 8.2. I am wondering what skills would be good to learn. I know that I will need to learn how to write scripts, but what scripting languages should I learn. I greatly appreciate any and all comments. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ntalektual
5 Replies

3. AIX

IBM Hardware question

I am looking to buy a 7044 - either a 170 or 270. From what I can find on web searchs the 170 is NOT upgradable to more that one CPU? Is that correct? Can I upgrade the planer on a 170 to a 270 to support multiple CPU's? Does anyone have any other suggestion for AIX hardware? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dizman67
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware question

I would like to use my sunblade to firewall the connections to my desktop and laptop, these at the minute are on a wifi router. What is the best solution? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kawakaze
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware question

Folks; Is there a command to know if my hardware can run 64-bit or 32-bit? I'm trying to re-install SUSE 64-bit on one of our server but i'm not sure if this server hardware designed for 32-bit only or for both Any help? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
14 Replies

6. AIX

Hardware upgrade question

I have an IBM pseries 7028-6E1 server with a six drive bay that is currently plugged into the scsi backplane of the motherboard. I am going to install a PCIX Ultra320 scsi raid adapter, and swing the drive bay over to it. I am just wondering how this is going to work. Should I power the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markper
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processor performance question [hardware]

A few of our machines need upgrading and we are looking into a selection of processors at present. There are suggestions on the vendor's websites that the L3 cache was specifically introduced for gamers. Is this true? Does having L1, L2 and/or L3 cache help at all in performance or are the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Wants Hardware For Practice?

I want a cheap dedicated machine to install a flavour of unix on and try to learn this OS. I know nothing about unix, just gone out and bought some books etc. Should I just get the cheapest old laptop off Ebay to install it on? What type of unix OS should I install?...a version of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IBMPBC
5 Replies
machid(1)						      General Commands Manual							 machid(1)

NAME
machid: hp9000s200, hp9000s300, hp9000s400, hp9000s500, hp9000s700, hp9000s800, hp-mc680x0, hp-pa, pdp11, u370, u3b, u3b10, u3b2, u3b5, vax - provide truth value about processor type SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The following commands return a true value (exit code 0) if the a processor type matches the command name. Otherwise a false value (exit code nonzero) is returned. These commands are commonly used within makefiles and shell procedures to improve portability of applications (see make(1)). +-----------+-------------------------++--------+--------------------------+ |Command | True for ||Command | True for | +-----------+-------------------------++--------+--------------------------+ |hp9000s200 | Series 200 ||pdp11 | PDP-11/45 or PDP-11/70 | |hp9000s300 | Series 300 ||u3b | 3B20 computer | |hp9000s400 | Series 400 ||u3b2 | 3B2 computer | |hp9000s500 | Series 500 ||u3b5 | 3B5 computer | |hp9000s700 | Series 700 ||u3b10 | 3B10 computer | |hp9000s800 | Series 800 or 700 ||u370 | IBM System/370 computer | |hp-mc680x0 | Series 200, 300, or 400 ||vax | VAX-11/750 or VAX-11/780 | |hp-pa | Series 700 or 800 || | | +-----------+-------------------------++--------+--------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Given a shell script that must behave differently when run on an HP 9000 Series 700 or 800 system, select the correct code segment to be executed: WARNINGS
always returns true on both Series 800 and Series 700 systems. Therefore, when using this command in scripts to determine hardware type, always use both and in the appropriate sequence to ensure correct results (see machid(1) will no longer provide support for future machines beyond the Series 800 and Series 700 systems. Decisions should be based on the hardware and software configuration information returned by getconf(1). SEE ALSO
getconf(1), make(1), sh(1), test(1), true(1). machid(1)