Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to ping host
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to ping host Post 5695 by yellowfish on Monday 20th of August 2001 06:55:39 PM
Old 08-20-2001
try "netstat -rn"
do you set up default route for both of machines?
--yellowfish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to ping a host, is it alive or not ...

hello to everyone, i was wondering if you could help me with a script im working on, it's kind of simple but i dont have a lot experience on unix comands: well, here it is: you might apreciate the infinite while loop :D, it is supossed to be running on the server all day scaning it every 5... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
12 Replies

3. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to ping a host in another domain

Hello I have a server in it.siroe.com I added it.siroe.com in /etc/resolv.conf. I still can't ping the server. any service to restart here? any other file to edit? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to ping Solaris VM from Xp host

Hi All, I am using Vmware Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004. Guest OS: Solaris 10 Host OS : Win XP I am getting request time out when i am trying to ping from XP ( cmd line) to Solaris VM - I have assigned IP 192.168.50.5 in Solaris VM ( Hostname: Tower1) and it is in UP status. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

ping can not recognize host but host command can

Hi, I have a weird problem. when ever I do ping command like for example ping unix.comI get the following message: # ping unix.com ping: unknown host unix.com but when I use host the computer is able to know the host. # host unix.com unix.com has address 81.17.242.186 unix.com mail is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

7. Linux

Unable to ping Linux guest from win7 host

Hi, I am using win7 on my PC and installed VMware on it on which i am running linux I am unable to ping my linux guest from my win machine, but i can ping my windows host from linux guest : Below is my system configuration Linux root@localhost ~]# ifconfig eth0 Link... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chander_1987
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping Host Until it is up and email

Hi I am trying to write a script which runs until the host is up. i got it figured out that it needs to be in loop till it return $? = 0. Not getting it through though. I am not sure about the 6th line !!! #!/bin/sh HOSTS="host.txt" ping(){ for myhost in "$HOSTS" do ping -c -1 "$myhost"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antergen
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Network issue on multinic. Unable to ping a host from One NIC but other works

Dear, I hope you all will be ok. I have an issue with Solaris box running on x86 Blade. I am unable to ping a node neither traceroute. I am able to do traceroute from oce0:6 port which have IP and subnet of same type which oce0:1 has. details are as follows: Problem: root@rinams02:/#... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping Response from the host name

Hi All, I have the requirement where am pinging the server and matching the IP address with the existing IP address. Below code is returning me the IP address and my requirement is i have to see that also whether it is pinging or not PING useipapd01 (172.22.32.87) 56(84) bytes of data. 64... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharsour
1 Replies
routes(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 routes(4)

NAME
routes - Specifies Internet routing information to the routing tables SYNOPSIS
/etc/routes DESCRIPTION
Static routes can be defined in the /etc/routes file. The /etc/routes file identifies static routes that are automatically added to the network routing tables with the /usr/sbin/route add command. The /sbin/init.d/route script contains the /usr/sbin/route add command that is executed for each entry in the /etc/routes file when the network is restarted on the system or the system is rebooted. The general format of an entry in the /etc/routes file is: Dest Name1 Name2 The following is a brief description of each element in an /etc/routes file entry: A keyword that indicates whether the route is to a net- work or to a host. The two possible keywords are -net and -host. The name or address of the destination network or host. Name1 can be either a symbolic name (as used in the /etc/hosts or /etc/networks file) or an Internet address specified in dotted-decimal format. The name or address of the gateway host to which messages should be forwarded. Name2 can be either a symbolic name (as used in the /etc/hosts file) or an Internet address specified in dotted-decimal format. The routes file is a Context-Dependent Symbolic Link (CDSL) and must be maintained as such. See the System Administration manual for more information. EXAMPLES
To specify a route to a network through a gateway host with an entry in the /etc/routes file, enter: -net net2 host4 This example specifies a route to a network, net2, through the gateway host4. To specify a route to a host through a gateway host with an entry in the /etc/routes file, enter: -host host2 host4 This example specifies a route to a host, host2, through the gateway host4. To specify a route to a default gateway host with an entry in the /etc/routes file, enter: default 130.9.0.5 This example specifies a route to a default gateway with an Internet address of 130.9.0.5. FILES
Contains the /usr/sbin/routed add command. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: route(8) Daemons: gated(8), routed(8) Files: gated.conf(4) Network Administration delim off routes(4)