Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Migration to Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Migration to Unix Post 56918 by Kukur on Thursday 14th of October 2004 01:36:27 PM
Old 10-14-2004
Question Migration to Unix

Hello,

I work for a very small ISP who up until now has run a combination of Win2000 and NT4 servers for our services (mail, DNS, dial-up).

Our equipment is showing it's age and we have been looking into changing into a Unix environment.

Our biggest challenge right now is our dial-up customers. The modem racks we currently have are embedded into Compaq NT4 machines and getting very tempermental.

We have one Portmaster 3, that we would like to migrate over to (once that is established we would add another PM3), but getting the user database over to a Win2000 server (and the every cooperative Active Directory) has been less than pleasant.

At this point I can either go and start learning Win2000/2003 and Active Directory or Unix.

Being an Apple fan for many years, and since the release of OS X, I would rather invest my time learning the Unix side and translate that over to the servers here at work.

My question basically is this...

What resources (websites or books) would you guys recommend for a Unix newbie to get a hold of to gain the knowledge needed to convert a small ISP into a Unix environment.

I apologize for such a broad statement (I realize there are a number of things to do), but I can't seem to get a start anywhere while I am constantly putting out the Win fires I currently have.

TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problems with migration from Reliant Unix to Solaris

:confused: Hello folks, my company had decided to migrate from Reliant Unix to Solaris. We have an amount of sources that have to be changed a little, because these UNIX'es are slightly different. Is there a tool (hopefully free), which can do this job? Does anyone know the exactly differences, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MS-No
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCO UNIX to Linux migration

hi all i m working in a company ...and i have to migrate a C application running on SCO-UNIX to Red hat linux. can anybody tell me what is the difference between C commands and shell scripting on SCO-UNIX and LINUX. best regards harsh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickey
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Application Migration From MPE To Unix

Hi, Iam working on migration of perl applicaion from MPE/ix OS to UNIX. Perl Application uses MPE::File Package which cannot be used in HPUX. I have identified IO::File and Filehandle package as replacement. Will the functionality of the MPE Package & Unix filehandle Package will match? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tc.omkumar
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file migration windows -> unix

I've spent all of my career on windows boxes and maybe 30 secs here an there with unix. Now I find myself with a project of migrating web files (html, swf, etc) from windows to unix. I know that unix is case sensitive and there can be no spaces in file/folder names. What else do I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjglass
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

tool for migration from HP Tru64 UNIX to Linux Red Hat 5

Hi, We are going to migrate our Dataware House system from HP Tru64 UNIX to Red Hat Linux 5. There are more than 500 shell scripts which are written in ksh. The schedule is very tight. So, I want to learn whether there is a tool that can help us find the incompatible shell scripts in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksubramania
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file migration

Hi all, Is there a program that would make sense out of the data below; this is from MPAC unix system. I would like to get usable data that could be transferred into excel? Rich, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: berkmillionare
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

C++ Code migration from HP Unix 11.11 to 11.31

i'm facing some problem to make my source code work in HP Unix 11.31 which works fine in HP Unix 11.11. Recently our unix server is upgraded to HP Unix 11.31, i was able to compile my source code successfully in 11.31 but i see some system call failure and socket failure. is there any steps to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madanxyz
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX to Linux Migration

We have certain number of scripts that run on AIX server using ksh. Now that we migrate these scripts to Linux servers. We need to know what are the changes that we have to perform in script to make it compatible to run on Linux. Say like in our Unix -AIX "print" command worked. But that did... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIva81
6 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
glutDialsFunc(3GLUT)						       GLUT						      glutDialsFunc(3GLUT)

NAME
glutDialsFunc - sets the dial & button box dials callback for the current window. SYNTAX
void glutDialsFunc(void (*func)(int dial, int value)); ARGUMENTS
func The new dials callback function. DESCRIPTION
glutDialsFunc sets the dial & button box dials callback for the current window. The dial & button box dials callback for a window is called when the window has dial & button box input focus (normally, when the mouse is in the window) and the user generates dial & button box dial changes. The dial parameter will be the dial number (starting at one). The number of available dial & button box dials can be determined with glutDeviceGet(GLUT_NUM_DIALS). The value measures the absolute rotation in degrees. Dial values do not ``roll over'' with each com- plete rotation but continue to accumulate degrees (until the int dial value overflows). Registering a dial & button box dials callback when a dial & button box device is not available is ineffectual and not an error. In this case, no dial & button box dials callbacks will be generated. Passing NULL to glutDialsFunc disables the generation of dial & button box dials callbacks. When a new window is created, no dial & button box dials callback is initially registered. SEE ALSO
glutButtonBoxFunc, glutDeviceGet AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutDialsFunc(3GLUT)