Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory Post 56864 by cjcamaro on Wednesday 13th of October 2004 02:10:42 PM
Old 10-13-2004
Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11.

I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used.

But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told.

"Not enough Shared Memory"

I am told that there is a Kernel paramater that I need to adjust so that I can use that "unused" memory for this DBs startup.

Does anyone know the kernel parameter that will allow me to use more of my available memory as shared memory?

Chris.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

memory sharing - not shared memory -

hi, this is the problem: i want to swap a linked list between 4 processes (unrelated), is there any way i can do that just by sending a pointer to a structure? //example typedef struct node { int x; char c; struct node *next; } node; or i should send the items ( x,c ) by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

2. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

3. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared Memory

Hi, Using ipcs we can see shared memory, etc.. details. How can I add/remove shared memory(command name)? Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

5. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

6. AIX

shared memory

1.How to know wich process is using the shared memory? 2.How to flush (release) the process from the shared memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba
1 Replies

7. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

8. Programming

What Unix do with unused shared memory?

Hello, When creating shared memory in C, should be remove shared memory with shmctl function when don't need it. If it didn't remove, occupied shared memory stay and remain. If we create shared memory repeatedly without removing unusable shared memory, /dev/shm will full. Does Unix or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pronetin
1 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

High Paging when lots of free memory AIX 5.3

I am new to AIX, I have few AIX 5.3 servers and I could see there are significant difference in paging space utilization on servers even though they are running same applications below server is working fine which shows 2-5 % paging usage throuh out the day cpu_scale_memp = 8... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibish
12 Replies
RDMA_REG_WRITE(3)					   Librdmacm Programmer's Manual					 RDMA_REG_WRITE(3)

NAME
rdma_reg_write - register data buffer(s) for remote RDMA write access. SYNOPSIS
#include <rdma/rdma_verbs.h> struct ibv_mr * rdma_reg_write (struct rdma_cm_id *id, void *addr, size_t length); ARGUMENTS
id A reference to a communication identifier where the message buffer(s) will be used. addr The address of the memory buffer(s) to register. length The total length of the memory to register. DESCRIPTION
Registers a memory buffer that will be accessed by a remote RDMA write operation. Memory buffers registered using rdma_reg_write may be targeted in an RDMA write request, allowing the buffer to be specified on the remote side of an RDMA connection as the remote_addr of rdma_post_write, or similar call. RETURN VALUE
Returns a reference to the registered memory region on success, or NULL on error. If an error occurs, errno will be set to indicate the failure reason. NOTES
rdma_reg_write is used to register a data buffer that will be the target of an RDMA write operation on a queue pair associated with an rdma_cm_id. The memory buffer is registered with the proteection domain associated with the idenfier. The start of the data buffer is specified through the addr parameter, and the total size of the buffer is given by length. All data buffers should be registered before being posted as a work request. Users must deregister all registered memory by calling rdma_dereg_mr. SEE ALSO
rdma_cm(7), rdma_create_id(3), rdma_create_ep(3), rdma_reg_msgs(3), rdma_reg_read(3), ibv_reg_mr(3), ibv_dereg_mr(3), rdma_post_write(3) librdmacm 2010-07-19 RDMA_REG_WRITE(3)