Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root 100%
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers root 100% Post 56858 by hassan2 on Wednesday 13th of October 2004 11:56:43 AM
Old 10-13-2004
search for core dump which can also cause / directory to fill up

do the following

find / -name core 2>/dev/null

this will show you if you have any core dump which you can delete and this will free up space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

4. Solaris

/ root is 100% and there is nothing increased it

Guys I have solaris 9 and / root is 100% and there is nothing increased the space every thing normal , I think the problem related to audit How can I stop or shutdown audit service and start it again ? Pls advice in the reason of this increasing and is it related to audit service ? . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

My root is at 100%...

Hi, this is my situation...my root is all used up. I have Ubuntu 10.10. When I originally installed it I did it as a test station and wasn't thinking about needing it in the future... Here is my result of df command... Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. SuSE

Auditors want more security with root to root access via ssh keys

I access over 100 SUSE SLES servers as root from my admin server, via ssh sessions using ssh keys, so I don't have to enter a password. My SUSE Admin server is setup in the following manner: 1) Remote root access is turned off in the sshd_config file. 2) I am the only user of this admin... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvbell
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find users with root UID or GID or root home

I need to list users in /etc/passwd with root's GID or UID or /root as home directory If we have these entries in /etc/passwd root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash rootgooduser1:x:100:100::/home/gooduser1:/bin/bash baduser1:x:0:300::/home/baduser1:/bin/bash... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
savecore(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       savecore(8)

Name
       savecore - save a core dump of the operating system

Syntax
       /etc/savecore [ options ] dirname [ system ] [ corename ]

Description
       The  command  is  meant	to  be called near the end of the file.  The command saves the core dump of the system (assuming one was made) and
       writes a reboot message in the shutdown log.

The command checks the core dump to be certain it corresponds with the current running ULTRIX.  If it does, it saves the core image in  the
       file  dirname/vmcore.n and saves the namelist in the file dirname/vmunix.n.  The trailing .n in the pathnames is replaced by a number which
       increments each time is run in that directory.

After saving the core and namelist images, will save the error logger buffer into a predetermined file.	The error logger  buffer  contains
       information about why the crash occurred.  After completes, the daemon will extract the error logger file and translate its contents into a
       form familiar to the program.

Before writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree.  If there are fewer free blocks  on  the  filesystem  that
       contains  dirname  than the number obtained from the file, a core dump is not done.  If the file does not exist, savecore always writes out
       the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken).

The command also writes a reboot message in the shut down log.  If the system crashed as a result of a panic, also records the panic string
       in the shut down log.

For  partial  crash  dumps,  creates  a	sparse	core image file in dirname/vmcore.n.  If this sparse core image file is copied or moved to
       another location, the file expands to its true size which can take too much file system space.  Hence, to copy or move  sparse  core  image
       files, you must use the command. The command has a conversion option to create sparse output files.

Options
       -c   Clears  the core dump.  This option is useful when the core dump is corrupted in a way that will not allow to save it safely.  Use the
	    option with caution, because once it clears the core dump, the core dump cannot be retrieved.

-d dumpdev dumplo
	    Specifies the dump device and the dump offset when running on a system image other than the currently running system image.  The  pro-
	    gram  assumes  that  the running system image is and it reads the dump device and dump device offset are different in the system image
	    that crashed, the option provides the correct dump device and dump device offset.

-e   Saves only the error logger buffer into a file.  If used, core or namelist images are not saved.

-f corename
	    Takes the i corefile name as the file from which to extract the the crash dump data instead of the default dump device.   This  option
	    is used only for diskless workstations.

If  the	core  dump was from a system other than /vmunix, the name of that system must be supplied as system.  The program assumes that the
       running image is

After successful completion, the core dump is cleared.  Also, a message is written in the file which tells whether the  dump  succeeded	or
       failed.

Files
       Shut down log

Current running ULTRIX system

See Also
       dd(1), uerf(8)

savecore(8)