Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: symbolic Link
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers symbolic Link Post 56816 by bhargav on Tuesday 12th of October 2004 01:08:27 PM
Old 10-12-2004
symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ...

i'm doing the following ...

ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh

and

cat ./scripts/y.sh

it is giving following error

cat: cannot open y.sh

Any reason u an think of ?

But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link.

cd scripts
ln -s ../x.sh y.sh

and if i do

cat y.sh .... it is displaying the contents of x.sh

Thanks for any insight on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link, can i use find / path -type l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)