Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Will we get SEGV if we try to “delete []” un-initialized integer pointer variable. Post 56758 by sureshreddi_ps on Monday 11th of October 2004 06:11:14 AM
Old 10-11-2004
Could following be the reason?

In main() I have two objects of different classes say class1 & class2.

Class1 and class2 both uses pointer variables. Class1 initializes all the pointer variables but class2 doesn't.

My observation is:

If I just instantiate class1 and class2 and then start using it no problem is occurring. (That is class2 pointer variables by default getting initialized to NULL).

But if I instantiate class1 and allocate some memory to its pointer member variables, immediately free it, and then instantiate class2, I am surely getting dangling pointer in class2 members.

Is it the right cause I have analyzed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

comparison between pointer and integer

I received a warning when I tried to compile my program that said: warning: comparison between pointer and integer Could you please explain to me what this means, and in what ways I could possibly fix this? Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjung10
2 Replies

2. Programming

why we never delete a pointer twice

can u tell me the reson that why we should not delete a pointer twice.? if we delete ponter twice then what happen and why this happen Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting an Integer from a Variable

Hello, I am in following situation.- COUNT=`ls -l | wc -l` echo $COUNT ---> 26 NO_OF_FILES=$COUNT-1 echo $NO_OF_FILES ---> 26-1 Here, I want the output to be 25. How could I do this. It seems simple, but I am not getting it. Please help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

4. Programming

`strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast

A question to ask. seq1 = "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"; seq2 = "dddddddddddddddddddd"; char a = '*'; strcat(*seq2, &a); strcat(*seq1, seq2); compilation warning: passing arg 1 of `strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
4 Replies

5. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

6. Programming

warning: passing arg 1 of `inet_addr' makes pointer from integer without a cast

I use solaris10,following is tcp client code: #include "cliserv.h" int main(int argc,char argv){ struct sockaddr_in serv; char request,reply; int sockfd,n; if(argc!=2) err_quit("usage: tcpclient <IP address of server>"); if((sockfd=socket(PF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0))<0) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the max integer a variable can hold?

I would like to know the maximum integer that a variable can hold. Actually one of my variable holds value 2231599773 and hence the script fails to process it.Do we have any other data type or options available to handle this long integers? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to Use a Variable as Integer?

hello, i am writing a script that takes the UID from the PASSWD and then i want to increse the Number by one. for the Next user. i cannot get this to work that a variable is as interger example: set i = 0 set $i = $+1 it's in tcsh if it's mather (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
10 Replies

9. Programming

warning: comparison between pointer and integer

Hi guys :D I am still playing with my C handbook and yes, as you can see I have small problem as always :cool: I wrote a C code #include <stdio.h> #define MESSAGE 100 int main(void) { char input_mes - Pastebin.com And when I try to compile it I get following errors from gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies
Tk_SetClass(3)						       Tk Library Procedures						    Tk_SetClass(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_SetClass, Tk_Class - set or retrieve a window's class SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> Tk_SetClass(tkwin, class) Tk_Uid Tk_Class(tkwin) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for window. char *class (in) New class name for window. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_SetClass is called to associate a class with a particular window. The class string identifies the type of the window; all windows with the same general class of behavior (button, menu, etc.) should have the same class. By convention all class names start with a capital letter, and there exists a Tcl command with the same name as each class (except all in lower-case) which can be used to create and manipu- late windows of that class. A window's class string is initialized to NULL when the window is created. For main windows, Tk automatically propagates the name and class to the WM_CLASS property used by window managers. This happens either when a main window is actually created (e.g. in Tk_MakeWindowExist), or when Tk_SetClass is called, whichever occurs later. If a main win- dow has not been assigned a class then Tk will not set the WM_CLASS property for the window. Tk_Class is a macro that returns the current value of tkwin's class. The value is returned as a Tk_Uid, which may be used just like a string pointer but also has the properties of a unique identifier (see the manual entry for Tk_GetUid for details). If tkwin has not yet been given a class, then Tk_Class will return NULL. KEYWORDS
class, unique identifier, window, window manager Tk Tk_SetClass(3)