Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCP sockets
Operating Systems SCO TCP sockets Post 56715 by rm -r * on Friday 8th of October 2004 02:13:36 PM
Old 10-08-2004
Check out the man page for "tcp". Here's a little bit of it:

The TCP_KEEPIDLE option can be used to control the start interval for TCP keep-alive messages. Normally, when enabled via SO_KEEPALIVE, keep-alives do not start until the connection has been idle for 2 hours. This option can be used to alter this interval. The option value should be specified in seconds. The minimum is restricted to 10 seconds. Setting TCP_KEEPIDLE to 0 restores the keep-alive start interval to the default value.

Normally TCP will send a keep-alive every 75 seconds once the connection has been idle for the KEEPIDLE period. Keep-alives may be sent more frequently by using the TCP_KEEPINTVL option to specify the interval in seconds. The minimum is restricted to 1 second. Setting TCP_KEEPINTVL to 0 restores the keep-alive interval to the default value.

Normally TCP will send 8 keep-alives prior to giving up. This number may be altered by using the TCP_NKEEP option to specify the desired number of keep-alives. The minimum value is constrained to be 1. Setting TCP_NKEEP to 0 restores the keep-alive interval to the default value.

Normally TCP will try to retransmit for 511 seconds before dropping a connection. This value can be changed using the TCP_MAXRXT option. Setting TCP_MAXRXT to a value between 180 and 2^32-2 causes TCP to wait that number of seconds before giving up. Setting TCP_MAXRXT to 0 restores the retransmission interval to the default value. Setting the retransmission interval to 2^32-1 (0xffffffff) causes TCP to
retransmit forever. The retransmission period cannot be set to less than three minutes (180 seconds).

Hope this helps...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sockets!?!?!?!?!?!

I am looking for a way to have a program listen on a port (example: 8000) for communication I will be sending via that port to it(Linux Kernel machine). Once it recieves an appropiate command I need it to run a .bat file in linux. I know what I need to do but I am running into a few problems:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigB8210
8 Replies

2. Programming

sockets

Hai, How cani declare socket and collect the data in a string varialbe. Since i am new to this i am asking this. Can we connect multiple port. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sockets

how do i mointor how many sockets are opened from a particular foriegn address? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirpond
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sockets in use

Is there a way to see what sockets are in use? The developers here are getting some defunct processes and they would like to get a socket list. This is on a Solaris 8 machine. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

5. Programming

need help with sockets

anyone and teach me how to save standard output to a file in a client/server socket. I know how to read them to the screen but i'm not quite sure how to save them to a file. my read to screen file code: memset(line, 0x0, LINE_ARRAY_SIZE); while (recv(connectSocket, line, MAX_MSG, 0) >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crunchyuser
1 Replies

6. Programming

Sockets

Hi,i now moved into a different section where i need to use sockets. i am completely nill in sockets. can some body please provide me what are the requirements for a socket. to use sockets in c. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrUser
1 Replies

7. Programming

Help with sockets in C

if i have a server which wants to connect to exactly 5 clients, does that mean i need 5 socket file descriptors and use listen(socket_fd,1); for each one or just do listen(socket_fd,5) also whats the second parameter number mean? what happens if i put 0 there? also if i am connected... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
28 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sockets

hai guys, I'm doing a project in which one server communicates with several clients. How can i do it when i have different port numbers???:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

Packetize data to send it over tcp sockets

Hello All, I am very new to socket programming and client server architecture. I have to write a client which will send some data to server and server will display it on its console. I am ready with both client and server but my problem is with packetizing of data -- I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies
SS(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     SS(8)

NAME
ss - another utility to investigate sockets SYNOPSIS
ss [options] [ FILTER ] DESCRIPTION
ss is used to dump socket statistics. It allows showing information similar to netstat. It can display more TCP and state informations than other tools. OPTIONS
When no option is used ss displays a list of open non-listening TCP sockets that have established connection. These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -V, --version Output version information. -n, --numeric Do not try to resolve service names. -r, --resolve Try to resolve numeric address/ports. -a, --all Display both listening and non-listening (for TCP this means established connections) sockets. -l, --listening Display only listening sockets (these are omitted by default). -o, --options Show timer information. -e, --extended Show detailed socket information -m, --memory Show socket memory usage. -p, --processes Show process using socket. -i, --info Show internal TCP information. -s, --summary Print summary statistics. This option does not parse socket lists obtaining summary from various sources. It is useful when amount of sockets is so huge that parsing /proc/net/tcp is painful. -4, --ipv4 Display only IP version 4 sockets (alias for -f inet). -6, --ipv6 Display only IP version 6 sockets (alias for -f inet6). -0, --packet Display PACKET sockets (alias for -f link). -t, --tcp Display TCP sockets. -u, --udp Display UDP sockets. -d, --dccp Display DCCP sockets. -w, --raw Display RAW sockets. -x, --unix Display Unix domain sockets (alias for -f unix). -f FAMILY, --family=FAMILY Display sockets of type FAMILY. Currently the following families are supported: unix, inet, inet6, link, netlink. -A QUERY, --query=QUERY, --socket=QUERY List of socket tables to dump, separated by commas. The following identifiers are understood: all, inet, tcp, udp, raw, unix, packet, netlink, unix_dgram, unix_stream, packet_raw, packet_dgram. -D FILE, --diag=FILE Do not display anything, just dump raw information about TCP sockets to FILE after applying filters. If FILE is - stdout is used. -F FILE, --filter=FILE Read filter information from FILE. Each line of FILE is interpreted like single command line option. If FILE is - stdin is used. FILTER := [ state TCP-STATE ] [ EXPRESSION ] Please take a look at the official documentation (Debian package iproute-doc) for details regarding filters. USAGE EXAMPLES
ss -t -a Display all TCP sockets. ss -u -a Display all UDP sockets. ss -o state established '( dport = :ssh or sport = :ssh )' Display all established ssh connections. ss -x src /tmp/.X11-unix/* Find all local processes connected to X server. ss -o state fin-wait-1 '( sport = :http or sport = :https )' dst 193.233.7/24 List all the tcp sockets in state FIN-WAIT-1 for our apache to network 193.233.7/24 and look at their timers. SEE ALSO
ip(8), /usr/share/doc/iproute-doc/ss.html (package iproutedoc) AUTHOR
ss was written by Alexey Kuznetosv, <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. This manual page was written by Michael Prokop <mika@grml.org> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SS(8)