Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tput clear
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tput clear Post 56661 by zazzybob on Thursday 7th of October 2004 10:28:10 AM
Old 10-07-2004
To see what TERM is currently set to, type
echo $TERM

Terminfo DB
/usr/share/terminfo/*/* (or /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/*)

Terminal configuration file....
/etc/termcap

I'd suggest having a read through "man 5 terminfo" on Linux (man 4 terminfo on HP-UX)
/usr/share/terminfo/*/* hierarchy contains the terminfo database itself.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

problem with incorporating tput in a c program

as you all know, tput is somewhat of a utility that can be used to put the cursor on specific places on the screen. now, I usually use this utility when I do shell programming but I began wondering that there should be a way to put that utility into my c program so I can be able to clear the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question! TPUT!?

:mad: forgot the tput command to make the cursor blink... can any one give me a pointer.. one which command it is.. thanx moxxx68:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tput smso (bold) ruins formatting

Hi, I have some very nicely formatted output on a monitor script and I'd like to make one of the fields bold when a threshold is reached but when I do it changes the formatting. I've tried using tabs to separate the fields and I've tried using printf to force the size of the fields. Below is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of tput ?

what is use of tput smso tput rmso tput sgr0 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
3 Replies

5. Programming

clear screen in g++

How do I clear screen in g++ I've included curses and tried compile with lcurses as per gcc but fails, I can clear by using system("clear") but would prefer to use the curses library if possible. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

6. AIX

Clear wtmp

Hello, Is there a difference between the following commands besides consider the file permissions? /usr/sbin/acct/nulladm /var/adm/wtmp >/var/adm/wtmp cat /dev/null >/var/adm/wtmp Today I tried the second command and it worked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in using tput command

Plz help me in writing a shell script to print * in the form of 8 using tput command ... pattern shud be in d below form... * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dpu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tput // special keys.

$ read -s -N 5 ch; printf "$ch" |od -An -c 033 Obviously during the read I pressed F1. So check something more normal, right-arrow: $ read -s -N 3 ch; printf "$ch" |od -An -c 033 $ tput kcuf1 |od -An -c 033 O C Is my terminal the only broken one? I'm using PuTTY..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting a menu using tput

I am trying to format a menu using tput. A sample of the menu that i want displayed is the following: printf "***MAIN - MENU***\n" printf " 1. OPTION 1\n" printf " 2. OPTION 2 \n" printf " 3. OPTION 3\n" printf " 4. OPTION 4\n" printf " 5.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goddevil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tput cup, print on current line?

Heyas I'm thinking about a new approach for my core display, basicly as it should make aligments easier. Issue i'm currently facing, is tput cup capable of printing on the current line? My best achievements were: :) tui $ tput cup - 60;echo " ------ testing" ------ testing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
5 Replies
captoinfo(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     captoinfo(1M)

NAME
captoinfo - convert a termcap description into a terminfo description SYNOPSIS
captoinfo [-1] [-v]... [-V] [-w width] filename... DESCRIPTION
captoinfo looks in filename for termcap descriptions. For each one found, an equivalent terminfo description is written to standard out- put, along with any comments found. A description which is expressed as relative to another description (as specified in the termcap tc = field) is reduced to the minimum superset before being displayed. If no filename is given, then the environment variable TERMCAP is used for the filename or entry. If TERMCAP is a full pathname to a file, only the terminal whose name is specified in the environment variable TERM is extracted from that file. If the environment variable TERMCAP is not set, then the file /usr/share/lib/termcap is read. OPTIONS
-1 Display the fields one to a line. Otherwise, the fields are printed several to a line, with a maximum width of 60 characters. -v Display tracing information on the standard error as the program runs. Specifying additional -v options displays more detailed information. -V Display the version of the program in use on the standard error and then exit. -w width Change the output to width characters. FILES
/usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/* compiled terminal description database /usr/share/lib/termcap ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
infocmp(1M), curses(3CURSES), terminfo(4), attributes(5) NOTES
captoinfo should be used to convert termcap entries to terminfo entries because the termcap database may not be supplied in future releases. SunOS 5.11 18 May 1993 captoinfo(1M)