Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: evaluating variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers evaluating variables Post 56618 by Bab00shka on Wednesday 6th of October 2004 11:43:43 AM
Old 10-06-2004
Hi ZB

The contents of file doesn't really have any bearing on the question and is probably misleading. I'll try to phrase the question a bit differently.

I am trying to build up a dynamic string using a loop. I know the example script below is a bit pointless but hopefully it explains a little more clearly what I'm trying to do.

#!/usr/bin/ksh

counter=1
cmd="awk"
field1="Fred"
field2="Joe"
field3="Mary"
field4="Jane"

while [ $counter -le 4 ]
do
cmd=$cmd" -vvar$counter=$field$counter"

(( counter = counter + 1 ))
done

What I wanted to get is the contents of the variable 'cmd' to literally equal 'awk -vvar1=Fred -vvar2=Joe -vvar3=Mary -vvar4=Jane'

To do this I would need the $counter part of -vvar$counter to be evaluated to -vvar1, -vvar2 etc, but for the $field$counter I would need the variable evaluated twice. Firstly to $field1, $field2 etc then to the contents of $field1 (Fred), $field2 (Joe) etc

I hope this explains what I'm trying to achieve.

Cheers
Helen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating for a number

I apologize for the simple question but can someone please help me with how to evaluate a number? I will be reading in a file and if a number is >= 100000000, I will do something, if not, I will exit the if statement. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedrict
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating params

Hi all, I ve a script like.... TBL=employee sql=`cat abhi.sql` \\ abhi.sql contains ------- select a from $TBL echo $TBL echo $sql SQL=`echo $sql` echo $SQL now i want SQL as select a from employee and as select a from $TBL How can I achieve this? Help appriciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abzi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

* character evaluating too soon - Help!

I have a user defined configuration file, which could contain the following type of entries: directory_001=/a/directory/structure pattern_001=fred* pattern_002=* I have a script which reads the file generically which will loop round loop 1 genvar=”directory” iteration=”001” ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating date +%m

how do i evaluate the value of date if ( $(date +%m) > 8 ) then FY_STAMP=FY$(echo $(($(date +%Y) + 1)) | cut -c3-4) else FY_STAMP=FY$(date +%y) fi i want this to make the FY_STAMP increment by 1 if the month is september and up. but cant seem to make it work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsf01
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating Decimal values

How can I evaluate a decimal value in an if statement? echo "Enter limit:" read limit (enter a decmal value, ie: 2.5) decimallimit=`echo $limit+0|bc|quit` echo $decimallimit if then echo $decimallimit else echo "failed" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrys721
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

$$# is evaluating to 1 when no value

I have the following in my makefile: RESULT=`../${TOOLS_ROOT_PATH}/ext_tools.sh 11`; \ set $$RESULT > tMp; \ rm tMp; \ if ; then \ echo copying external-local tool: $< \($$*\); \ mkdir -p ${EXTERNAL_LOCAL_BIN_DIR}/$<; \ cp -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake_ryan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition not evaluating as expected

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your time. I have a data file like this: 1 7.465753425 2 8.980821918 1 1.717808219 1 6.550684932 0 5.432876712 I wish to write a bash script to check both columns and output a 1 if col1==1 AND col2<3. Otherwise I want to output a 0. In the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem8271
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing and Evaluating

Hi Guys, Good day ULF :) I hope you can help me again with my problem. I have a file which looks like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server3 Dec 18 21:31:12 AHM04 nseventmgr: EVENT-SET:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem evaluating condition

First, given this bit of code (line numbers included for reference: 59 get_all_db () { 60 #echo getting all db 61 dblist=`egrep -i "product/12" /etc/oratab |grep -v "listener"|\ 62 awk -F\: '{print $1}'|sort` 63 echo list is $dblist 64 echo 65 echo 66 echo "INSTANCE_NAME ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
15 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)