Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Addressing UDP datagrams in UNIX Post 5648 by psilva on Monday 20th of August 2001 04:00:52 AM
Old 08-20-2001
Question

There is nothing to do with NT...my problem is that I am having
difficulties addressing a UDP datagram on the UNIX side.
the sendto() function has a parameter called sockaddr, which is
a struct and I don`t know how to define it correctly so that my
datagram can be sent to a given IP address and a given socket.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

IP Addressing with Digital Unix

I'm trying to set up an IP address on a Digital Unix box. I would like to know the commands in order to do so. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavelyj
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Dual IP addressing

I have a Unix application server with an internet IP address on it for a gateway and a Unix web server with the Internet IP as well configured for its gateway. Now the problem I have is this: due to these gateways, the application server can't communicate with our internal LAN. Therefore, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronny
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

scsi floppy drive addressing

Does anyone know of a site that documents the various addressing schemes used with SCSI floppy disk drives? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drew_Harrison
5 Replies

4. Linux

Linux IP addressing Problem

hello, we are having a LAN of about 100 nodes each installed with windows 2000. the default gateway ip address of each system has been assigned the IP of a personal router which connects us to the internet. and offcourse there are a few DNS address also. the ip address range from 192.168.1.1 to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

5. SCO

How to stop A UDP protocol on Unix

Dear All, Kindly guide how to stop UDP protocol on Sco Unix release 5.0 Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

addressing variable content...

I want to address a variable content whose name is/matches the content of a given other variable. i.e. set name=´sam´ set ${name}_age=´27´ So, by typing: echo ${name}_age I correctly obtain: sam_age By typing: echo $sam_age or echo ${sam_age} I correctly obtain: 27 But how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sobolev
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Electronic Mail Addressing

"A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing & Networks" by Donnalyn Frey and Rick Adams (O'Reilly & Associates, 1993), Xerox Grapevine, DECNET. The book tells about lots of different ways to present an email address. What i know of are Internet (user@host), UUCP (host!user) and DECNET (host::user)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
2 Replies

8. Programming

Memory addressing question

Forgive me if this sounds like a newbie question. Any time you obtain a stack address from a pointer, what is this relative to by default? Is it the extra segment, the stack segment, what? How do you change change the relative positioning in memory? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Addressing question

This is probably a stupid question but I am finding a tricky issue on my Solaris machines right now. I changed the hostname for my servers as requested by my superior. I had one server that lost it's entire network configuration when I rebooted. I reconfigured it with it's address and I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnxjenn
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

32 bit process addressing more than 4GB

Hello for all, I am testing the behavior of a 32 bit application running on Solaris 5.10 (SPARC), and realize it reaches 4GB of memory and then crashes. It doesn't matter the amount of used memory as application is intended to perform many transactions; rather, what I want to achieve is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leito7824
2 Replies
UDP(7P) 																   UDP(7P)

NAME
UDP - Internet User Datagram Protocol SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
UDP is a simple, unreliable datagram protocol used to support the socket type for the internet protocol family. UDP sockets are connec- tionless, and are normally used with the and calls (see send(2) and recv(2). The call can also be used to simulate a connection (see con- nect(2). When used in this manner, it fixes the destination for future transmitted packets (in which case the or system calls can be used), as well as designating the source from which packets are received. The and calls can be used at any time if the source of the mes- sage is unimportant. UDP address formats are identical to those used by TCP. In particular, UDP requires a port identifier in addition to the normal Internet address format. Note that the UDP port domain is separate from the TCP port domain (in other words, a UDP port cannot be connected to a TCP port). The default send buffer size for UDP sockets is 65535 bytes. The default receive buffer size for UDP sockets is 2147483647 bytes. The send and receive buffer sizes for UDP sockets can be set by using the and options of the system call or the and options of the system call. The maximum size for these buffers is 2147483647 bytes. The maximum receive buffer size may be lowered using the parameter The maximum message size for a UDP datagram socket is limited by the lesser of the maximum size of an IP datagram and the size of the UDP datagram socket buffer. The maximum size of an IP datagram limits the maximum message size of a UDP message to 65507 bytes. Therefore, using the maximum socket buffer size will allow multiple maximum-sized messages to be placed on the send queue. The default inbound and outbound message size limit for a UDP datagram socket is 65535 bytes. The maximum message size for a UDP broadcast is limited by the MTU size of the underlying link. ERRORS
One of the following errors may be returned in if a socket operation fails. For a more detailed list of errors, see the man pages for spe- cific system calls. [EISCONN] Attempt to send a datagram with the destination address specified, when the socket is already connected. [ENOBUFS] No buffer space is available for an internal data structure. [EADDRINUSE] Attempt to create a socket with a port which has already been allocated. [EADDRNOTAVAIL] Attempt to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists. AUTHOR
The socket interfaces to UDP were developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
ndd(1M). getsockopt(2), recv(2), send(2), socket(2), t_open(3), t_optmgmt(3) inet(7F), socket(7), RFC 768 User Datagram Protocol RFC 1122 Requirements for Internet hosts UDP(7P)