Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing unneeded information from grep? Post 5646 by Neo on Monday 20th of August 2001 12:32:21 AM
Old 08-20-2001
awk or perl

First to choices that come to mind:

awk and PERL

I prefer PERL more than the grep/awk combo. The beauty of these utlities is that there are many, many ways to accomplish these routine tasks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying file information using awk & grep

Hi, TASK 1: I have been using this code to print the information of files kept at "/castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja" in some text file name FILE.txt. rfdir /castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja | grep data | awk '{print "rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/"$9}' > FILE.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep from pattern file without removing duplicates?

I have been using grep to output whole lines using a pattern file with identifiers (fileA): fig|562.2322.peg.1 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.7 From fileB with corresponding identifiers in the second column: NODE_0 fig|562.2322.peg.1 peg ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include information in certain columns using grep and awk

HI all, I have data in a file that looks like this: 1 HOW _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 2 DRUGS _ NNP NNP _ 3 nn _ _ 3 ACT _ NNP NNP _ 0 null _ _ 4 : _ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Remove unneeded Ethernet devices?

Solaris 10 x86 VM was shipped with four NICs, two each teamed together. We don't want or need. I ifconfig downed e1000g2 and e1000g3 and removed their /etc/hostname.* entries. But the kernel still sees those devices, and I'm not sure how to remove them. They have been removed from the VM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk / grep to extract information from log

Hi all, I have a query that runs that outputs data in the following format - 01/09/12 11:43:40,ADMIN,4,77,Application Group Load: Name(TESTED) LoadId(5137-1-0-1XX-15343-15343) File(/dir/dir/File.T03.CI2.RYR.2012009.11433350806.ARD) InputSize(5344) OutputSize(1359) Rows(2) Time(1.9960)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
Gtk2::Combo(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Gtk2::Combo(3)

NAME
Gtk2::Combo HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Glib::InitiallyUnowned +----Gtk2::Object +----Gtk2::Widget +----Gtk2::Container +----Gtk2::Box +----Gtk2::HBox +----Gtk2::Combo INTERFACES
Glib::Object::_Unregistered::AtkImplementorIface Gtk2::Buildable Gtk2::Orientable DEPRECATION WARNING
Gtk2::Combo has been marked as deprecated, and should not be used in newly written code. You should use Gtk2::ComboBox instead of Gtk2::Combo. METHODS
widget = Gtk2::Combo->new $combo->set_case_sensitive ($val) o $val (boolean) $combo->disable_activate widget = $combo->entry $combo->set_item_string ($item, $item_value) o $item (Gtk2::Item) o $item_value (string) widget = $combo->list $combo->set_popdown_strings (...) o ... (list) of strings $combo->set_use_arrows_always ($val) o $val (boolean) $combo->set_use_arrows ($val) o $val (boolean) $combo->set_value_in_list ($val, $ok_if_empty) o $val (boolean) o $ok_if_empty (boolean) PROPERTIES
'allow-empty' (boolean : readable / writable / private) Whether an empty value may be entered in this field 'case-sensitive' (boolean : readable / writable / private) Whether list item matching is case sensitive 'enable-arrow-keys' (boolean : readable / writable / private) Whether the arrow keys move through the list of items 'enable-arrows-always' (boolean : readable / writable / private) Obsolete property, ignored 'value-in-list' (boolean : readable / writable / private) Whether entered values must already be present in the list SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object, Glib::InitiallyUnowned, Gtk2::Object, Gtk2::Widget, Gtk2::Container, Gtk2::Box, Gtk2::HBox COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2008 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Gtk2::Combo(3)