Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Dumping a FreeBSD Archive on a partiotion on Hard Disk Post 56433 by PenguinDevil on Saturday 2nd of October 2004 08:11:48 PM
Old 10-02-2004
Error Dumping a FreeBSD Archive on a partiotion on Hard Disk

I have been using FreeBSD (currently 4.10, yes yes i havent updated it for a few months), and unfortunately when initially installing it onto my laptop, i made the mistake of only assigning it 3.5 GB and time has passed and I now find myself withonly 300 something MB left on the chunk, i want to assign a lager partiotion to it, and do not know how to use "growfs" or know how safe it is. I was just wondering if I were to archive the "/" directory and ship it over to one of my Windows partition. After this destroying the current partition and creating a much larger one (preferabbly 8GB +) and then using any Live CD to dump this archive onto the new partition. Would this process work or would it merely act as data dumped on the HD as opposed to an OS. If anyone knows about this or any other ways that i may go about growing my partition for FreeBSD, without the tedious task of starting from scratch, i would be very thankful.

Thanks Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard disk problem

Hi everybody, I have Ultra 5 operating station, I fixed a new 80 GB HDD, when Iam installing Solaries "2.6, veeeeery old" the system see the hard disk as only 8002 MB "8GB" what can I do so the system will consider the whole capacity of the HDD. any capacity higher then 8 GB will be seen as 8 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adol3
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can i get hard disk usage

I want to get hard disk usage hard disk usage= already allocated/total allocated first I use ioscan -kfnC disk get disk name c#t#d# then I use diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c#t#d# but this command can only get total disk size,not disk usage has any command can get that thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

5. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Something is filling hard disk on its own.

I came in this morning to find that our mail server was down. Couldn't connect. I looked at logs. The logs complained about no space on device. I run df and it comfirms that the system disk (mounted on /) is at 100% capacity. I try to delete some files before attempting to look at cyrus. I rotate... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
23 Replies

7. BSD

Mounting a hard disk in FreeBSD

I have just installed a second hard disk on a FreeBSD machine v8.0. It is seen as new hardware: # dmesg | grep ad4 ad4: 953869MB <SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1AA01113> at ata2-master SATA300 ad4: 953869MB <SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1AA01113> at ata2-master SATA300 However it is not listed in fstab where "ad4"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies
PERLFREEBSD(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    PERLFREEBSD(1)

NAME
perlfreebsd - Perl version 5 on FreeBSD systems DESCRIPTION
This document describes various features of FreeBSD that will affect how Perl version 5 (hereafter just Perl) is compiled and/or runs. FreeBSD core dumps from readdir_r with ithreads When perl is configured to use ithreads, it will use re-entrant library calls in preference to non-re-entrant versions. There is a bug in FreeBSD's "readdir_r" function in versions 4.5 and earlier that can cause a SEGV when reading large directories. A patch for FreeBSD libc is available (see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/30631 ) which has been integrated into FreeBSD 4.6. $^X doesn't always contain a full path in FreeBSD perl sets $^X where possible to a full path by asking the operating system. On FreeBSD the full path of the perl interpreter is found by using "sysctl" with "KERN_PROC_PATHNAME" if that is supported, else by reading the symlink /proc/curproc/file. FreeBSD 7 and earlier has a bug where either approach sometimes returns an incorrect value (see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=35703 ). In these cases perl will fall back to the old behaviour of using C's argv[0] value for $^X. AUTHOR
Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>, collating wisdom supplied by Slaven Rezic and Tim Bunce. Please report any errors, updates, or suggestions to perlbug@perl.org. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 PERLFREEBSD(1)