Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers why is this so hard when it shouldn't be? Post 56190 by locustfurnace on Wednesday 29th of September 2004 04:06:33 AM
Old 09-29-2004
Re: why is this so hard when it shouldn't be?

Quote:
Originally posted by velious
1. Where can i dl unix and the driver for my modem?
You would have to pay to obtain UNIX.
If your are wanting *BSD or a Gnu/Linux distro, you can download these from the developers sites. Or use a site such as:

http://www.linuxiso.org
http://www.distrowatch.com/

If you have an external modem, you should have no problems using it with *BSD or Gnu/Linux. If it is a winmodem ( a modem which requires MS Windows drivers,) you may not have too much luck. But you can check for a possible driver at

http://linmodems.org/

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

3. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimited data contains line feeds where they shouldn't be

I have some data, each record (line) ends with a line feed (\n). Each field is pipe (|) delimited. 1|short desc|long text|2001-01-01 01:01 2|short desc| long text |2002-02-02 02:02 3|short desc| long text | 2003-03-03 03:03 4|short desc | long text | 2004-04-04 04:04 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericdp63
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Particular user account shouldn't be locked after entering wrong passwd specfic no. times

Hi all In my system we have implemented user lockout feature after 3 failure attempt if he tries to login directly or if he run the any command through sudo and enter wrong password thrice. Now I have requirement in which particular user account shouldn't be locked when he run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script outputing out numbers when it shouldn't

i suspect the issue is with the IFS part. I have a script that reads a file. the problem here is that, when i run the script, it outputs a bunch of numbers. i know what these numbers are, but i dont understand why they're being sent to the screen. as you can see below, everything should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

This awk should work, shouldn't it?

Heyas Trying to parse a tempfile, but somehow i mess up. To my understand, this should work... Plain: tail -n1 out.tmp 1 81.5M 1 1066k 0 0 359k 0 0:03:52 0:00:02 0:03:50 359k I want to get the 81.5M, so i'd assume it'll be $2 for awk.... tail -n1 out.tmp | awk... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
24 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users of own group shouldn't be able to delete

Oracle Linux 6.5 oracle user's primary group is oinstall and its secondary group is dba,asmdba,asmoper. For the below created directory, I want the users belonging to dba,asmdba,asmoper to be able create, read and execute files but not delete them. How can I achieve that. If I use 775 as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does this if match although it shouldn't?

Hi everyboy, I am a little confused and can't understand why I get a positive match in the following case. Shell Script section echo $SHELL echo "Server type = ${SERV_TYPE}" if ]]; then echo "foor" echo -e $(_date) "${cinfo}INFO: ${crst}Checking SAP memory on ${HOST}"This is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
1 Replies
Ns_Url(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 					Ns_Url(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_AbsoluteUrl, Ns_ParseUrl, Ns_RelativeUrl, Ns_SkipUrl - URL manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_AbsoluteUrl(Ns_DString *pds, char *url, char *baseurl) int Ns_ParseUrl(char *url, char **pprotocol, char **phost, char **pport, char **ppath, char **ptail) char * Ns_RelativeUrl(char *url, char *location) char * Ns_SkipUrl(Ns_Request *request, int n) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Ns_AbsoluteUrl(pds, url, baseurl) Construct an URL based on baseurl but with as many parts of the incomplete url as possible. Return NS_OK or NS_ERROR. Ns_ParseUrl(url, pprotocol, phost, pport, ppath, ptail) Parse a URL into its component parts. Pointers to the protocol, host, port, path, and "tail" (last path element) will be set by ref- erence in the passed-in pointers. The passed-in url will be modified. Ns_RelativeUrl(url, location) If the url passed in is for this server, then the initial part of the URL is stripped off. e.g., on a server whose location is http://www.foo.com, Ns_RelativeUrl of "http://www.foo.com/hello" will return "/hello". Returns a pointer to the beginning of the relative url in the passed-in url, or NULL if error. Will set errno on error. Ns_SkipUrl(request, n) Return a pointer n elements into the request's url. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Url(3aolserver)