Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Will we get SEGV if we try to “delete []” un-initialized integer pointer variable. Post 56185 by sureshreddi_ps on Wednesday 29th of September 2004 02:04:54 AM
Old 09-29-2004
Will we get SEGV if we try to “delete []” un-initialized integer pointer variable.

I have a class with an integer pointer, which I have not initialized to NULL in the constructor. For example:

class myclass
{
private:
char * name;
int *site;
}

myclass:: myclass(....)
: name(NULL)
{
}

other member function “delete [] “ the variable before initializing it.

Ex:
void myclass:: copy_site ( int **Values, int *from)
{
int *old;

old = *values.

Delete [] old; <<<<<ß here I am getting SEGV
}

But I am getting SEGV at “delete []”.

Surprisingly it is not happening every time. For only some inputs it is certainly working fine.

What could be the reason?
If it is because of initialization, why is working for some inputs and certainly not for other inputs?

I have observed with workshop that, for some inputs it is automatically getting initialized to NULL, and for other inputs it is certainly not NULL (dangling pointer).

Thanks in advance,
Suresh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

comparison between pointer and integer

I received a warning when I tried to compile my program that said: warning: comparison between pointer and integer Could you please explain to me what this means, and in what ways I could possibly fix this? Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjung10
2 Replies

2. Programming

why we never delete a pointer twice

can u tell me the reson that why we should not delete a pointer twice.? if we delete ponter twice then what happen and why this happen Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting an Integer from a Variable

Hello, I am in following situation.- COUNT=`ls -l | wc -l` echo $COUNT ---> 26 NO_OF_FILES=$COUNT-1 echo $NO_OF_FILES ---> 26-1 Here, I want the output to be 25. How could I do this. It seems simple, but I am not getting it. Please help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

4. Programming

`strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast

A question to ask. seq1 = "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"; seq2 = "dddddddddddddddddddd"; char a = '*'; strcat(*seq2, &a); strcat(*seq1, seq2); compilation warning: passing arg 1 of `strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
4 Replies

5. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

6. Programming

warning: passing arg 1 of `inet_addr' makes pointer from integer without a cast

I use solaris10,following is tcp client code: #include "cliserv.h" int main(int argc,char argv){ struct sockaddr_in serv; char request,reply; int sockfd,n; if(argc!=2) err_quit("usage: tcpclient <IP address of server>"); if((sockfd=socket(PF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0))<0) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the max integer a variable can hold?

I would like to know the maximum integer that a variable can hold. Actually one of my variable holds value 2231599773 and hence the script fails to process it.Do we have any other data type or options available to handle this long integers? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to Use a Variable as Integer?

hello, i am writing a script that takes the UID from the PASSWD and then i want to increse the Number by one. for the Next user. i cannot get this to work that a variable is as interger example: set i = 0 set $i = $+1 it's in tcsh if it's mather (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
10 Replies

9. Programming

warning: comparison between pointer and integer

Hi guys :D I am still playing with my C handbook and yes, as you can see I have small problem as always :cool: I wrote a C code #include <stdio.h> #define MESSAGE 100 int main(void) { char input_mes - Pastebin.com And when I try to compile it I get following errors from gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies
G_GEOM(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						 G_GEOM(9)

NAME
g_new_geomf, g_destroy_geom -- geom management SYNOPSIS
#include <geom/geom.h> struct g_geom * g_new_geomf(struct g_class *mp, const char *fmt, ...); void g_destroy_geom(struct g_geom *gp); DESCRIPTION
The geom (do not confuse ``geom'' with ``GEOM'') is an instance of a GEOM class. For example: in a typical i386 FreeBSD system, there will be one geom of class MBR for each disk. The geom's name is not really important, it is only used in the XML dump and for debugging purposes. There can be many geoms with the same name. The g_new_geomf() function creates a new geom, which will be an instance of the class mp. The geom's name is created in a printf(3)-like way from the rest of the arguments. The g_destroy_geom() function destroys the given geom immediately and cancels all related pending events. The g_geom structure contains fields that should be set by the caller after geom creation, but before creating any providers or consumers related to this geom (not all are required): g_start_t * start Pointer to a function used for I/O processing. g_spoiled_t * spoiled Pointer to a function used for consumers spoiling. g_dumpconf_t * dumpconf Pointer to a function used for configuration in XML format dumping. g_access_t * access Pointer to a function used for access control. g_orphan_t * orphan Pointer to a function used to inform about orphaned consumer. g_ioctl_t * ioctl Pointer to a function used for handling ioctl requests. void * softc Field for private use. RESTRICTIONS
/CONDITIONS If you intend to use providers in this geom you must set field start of your geom. If you are planning to use consumers in your geom you must set fields orphan and access for it. g_new_geomf(): Class mp must be valid (registered in GEOM). The topology lock has to be held. g_destroy_geom(): The geom cannot possess any providers. The geom cannot possess any consumers. The topology lock has to be held. RETURN VALUES
The g_new_geomf() function returns a pointer to the newly created geom. EXAMPLES
Create an example geom. static struct geom * g_example_start(struct bio *bp) { [...] } static void g_example_orphan(struct g_consumer *cp) { g_topology_assert(); [...] } static void g_example_spoiled(struct g_consumer *cp) { g_topology_assert(); [...] } static void g_example_access(struct g_provider *pp, int dr, int dw, int de) { [...] } static struct g_geom * create_example_geom(struct g_class *myclass) { struct g_geom *gp; g_topology_lock(); gp = g_new_geomf(myclass, "example_geom"); g_topology_unlock(); gp->start = g_example_start; gp->orphan = g_example_orphan; gp->spoiled = g_example_spoiled; gp->access = g_example_access; gp->softc = NULL; return (gp); } static int destroy_example_geom(struct g_geom *gp) { g_topology_lock(); if (!LIST_EMPTY(&gp->provider) || !LIST_EMPTY(&gp->consumer)) { g_topology_unlock(); return (EBUSY); } g_destroy_geom(gp); g_topology_unlock(); return (0); } SEE ALSO
geom(4), DECLARE_GEOM_CLASS(9), g_access(9), g_attach(9), g_bio(9), g_consumer(9), g_data(9), g_event(9), g_provider(9), g_provider_by_name(9), g_wither_geom(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
January 16, 2004 BSD