Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Migrate from RH 8.0 to Fedora Core 2 Post 56182 by moxxx68 on Tuesday 28th of September 2004 11:58:05 PM
Old 09-29-2004
Lightbulb from RH 0.8 to RH 0.9 to fedora core2

Smilie i have actually gone through the process of going from RH 0.8 to 0.9 to fedora core2 and i am very impressed with the actual difference in content.. that the fedora core2 has over the previous RH linux versions.. I am a bit of a newbie.. but both my brothers are experts in the computer world. one does software and one system admin web hosting on linux servers.. and he gave me this version of fedora core 2 to make sure that I am not bugging him with questions all the time.. and i tell you what.. I have only been using unix\/linux for one year and the first month of learning was spent on a redhat version 6.0 from 98' that I accidentally figured out how to install by myself and this is so much more comfortable.. I didn't even have a gui terminal..(Konsole) no gui at all actually.. this is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me next to unix.. .... hope you enjoy your fedora core 2 and by the way there are two versions.. one that is already out of the door and the one I upgraded to immediately vs 2.6.8-1.521 gnu/linux Redhat fedora core 2.. and one last thing.. they are already scheduling a fedora core 3 relearse date somewhere in the vicinity of of 09/01/2004 11/30/2004 look out for it,,,
yours truly moxxx68
Smilie
ps.. the updates on this version linux are pretty impressive, plenty!
pss .. try this page .. http://fedora.redhat.com
psss.. the only problem I have had with fedora is the power management they don't use apm they use acpi and that is still under development and therefore not only a little unstable but a little useless unless you can get it to work.. but from what I hear most of the development on the acpi is still happenning so there isn't much you can do with it any way and your're kind of stuck with a little gui..

Last edited by moxxx68; 09-29-2004 at 01:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Fedora Core 2 Snapshot

These are not my desktop (I am still using FC1), they are from Internet forum. http://gator.dt.uh.edu/~yangm001/snapshot1.jpg http://gator.dt.uh.edu/~yangm001/snapshot2.jpg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
0 Replies

2. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

3. Linux

Trying to install Fedora Core 3...

Hiya all, Hope you can help. I keep getting the same Error message when I try to install. I have tried several different Diskettes. And I finally ordered CDs from "FASTDISCs". The install "disc Checks" passed fine on these. The error: "The package usbitils-0.11.6.1 cannot be opened. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
8 Replies

4. Linux

Help with OpenGL in Fedora Core 4.

I'm pretty much new to this Linux stuff, I installed FC4 the other night to try it out. I'm having a slight problem when launching Quake 3, it's giving me the error GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem I've updated my video drivers to the latest version and went through fglrxconfig,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filth Pig
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 4

Hello, I am about to install Fedora on a partition on my hard drive. I got the CD from a magazine and it isnt a LiveCD so the magazine says "fedora core installer isn't a LiveCD, so it will merrily destroy your primary partition when you install on your machine", now I'm guessing the primary... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArkNia
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help installing fedora core 5

Hello I'm trying to install fedora core 5 and I'm currently at this screen here: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/figs/installingpackages.png However, the bottom bar is completely gray and there's nothing telling me the "status" of the install. I also told it to format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: obeseogre
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fedora core mailrelay

how do i change the mailrelay settings smtp for fedora core 4 to a new IP ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyd
1 Replies

8. Linux

fedora core 6 problem

hi all i am currently using fedora core 3 . i downloaded the iso image of fedora core 6 but after installing the fedora core 6 . while starting linux it gives a error saying init is been killed . wht is happened? thank u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageshrk
3 Replies

9. Linux

mysql in fedora core 4

hi i dont know much about linux but my boss gave me a job to backup all the mysql database and tables from fedora core4 running as web/database server. i can enter in fedora using remote desktop from my laptop but after that i am unable to do anything. if any one can help me in finding mysql and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: obstinate
3 Replies

10. SuSE

Navigation of Fedora Core 6

Hi. Not sure if this should go in the beginners section, so forgivness please if it's not correctly placed. I just installed Linux Fedora Core 6 on my home computer (and am very very new to this) so I can learn more about it. However, I am looking for the FC6 equivalent to the System Device... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
2 Replies
OS-RELEASE(5)							    os-release							     OS-RELEASE(5)

NAME
os-release - Operating system identification SYNOPSIS
/etc/os-release DESCRIPTION
The /etc/os-release file contains operating system identification data. The basic file format of os-release is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported (this means variable expansion is explicitly not supported), allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Variable assignment values should be enclosed in double or single quotes if they include spaces, semicolons or other special characters outside of A-Z, a-z, 0-9. All strings should be in UTF-8 format, and non-printable characters should not be used. If double or single quotes or backslashes are to be used within variable assignments they should be escaped with backslashes, following shell style. It is not supported to concatenate multiple individually quoted strings. Lines beginning with "#" shall be ignored as comments. /etc/os-release contains data that is defined by the operating system vendor and should not be changed by the administrator. As this file only encodes names and identifiers it should not be localized. The file /etc/os-release might be a symlink to another file, but it is important that the file is available from earliest boot on, and hence must be located on the root file system. For a longer rationale for /etc/os-release please refer to the Announcement of /etc/os-release[1]. OPTIONS
The following OS identifications parameters may be set using /etc/os-release: NAME= A string identifying the operating system, without a version component, and suitable for presentation to the user. If not set defaults to NAME=Linux. Example: NAME=Fedora or NAME="Debian GNU/Linux". VERSION= A string identifying the operating system version, excluding any OS name information, possibly including a release code name, and suitable for presentation to the user. This field is optional. Example: VERSION=17 or VERSION="17 (Beefy Miracle)". ID= A lower-case string (no spaces or other characters outside of 0-9, a-z, ".", "_" and "-") identifying the operating system, excluding any version information and suitable for processing by scripts or usage in generated file names. If not set defaults to ID=linux. Example: ID=fedora or ID=debian. ID_LIKE= A space-separated list of operating system identifiers in the same syntax as the ID= setting. Should list identifiers of operating systems that are closely related to the local operating system in regards to packaging and programming interfaces, for example listing one or more OS identifiers the local OS is a derivative from. An OS should generally only list other OS identifiers it itself is a derivative from, and not any OSes that are derived from it, but symmetric relationships are possible. Build scripts and similar should check this variable if they need to identify the local operating system and the value of ID= is not recognized. Operating systems should be listed in order of how closely the local operating system relates to the listed ones, starting with the closest. This field is optional. Example: for an operating system with ID=centos an assignment of ID_LIKE="rhel fedora" would be appropriate. For an operating system with ID=ubuntu an assignment of ID_LIKE=debian is appropriate. VERSION_ID= A lower-case string (mostly numeric, no spaces or other characters outside of 0-9, a-z, ".", "_" and "-") identifying the operating system version, excluding any OS name information or release code name, and suitable for processing by scripts or usage in generated file names. This field is optional. Example: VERSION_ID=17 or VERSION_ID=11.04. PRETTY_NAME= A pretty operating system name in a format suitable for presentation to the user. May or may not contain a release code name or OS version of some kind, as suitable. If not set defaults to PRETTY_NAME="Linux". Example: PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)". ANSI_COLOR= A suggested presentation color when showing the OS name on the console. This should be specified as string suitable for inclusion in the ESC [ m ANSI/ECMA-48 escape code for setting graphical rendition. This field is optional. Example: ANSI_COLOR="0;31" for red, or ANSI_COLOR="1;34" for light blue. CPE_NAME= A CPE name for the operating system, following the Common Platform Enumeration Specification[2] as proposed by the MITRE Corporation. This field is optional. Example: CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:17" HOME_URL=, SUPPORT_URL=, BUG_REPORT_URL= Links to resources on the Internet related the operating system. HOME_URL= should refer to the homepage of the of operating system, or alternatively some homepage of the specific version of the operating system. SUPPORT_URL= should refer to the main support page for the operating system, if there is any. This is primarily intended for operating systems which vendors provide support for. BUG_REPORT_URL= should refer to the main bug reporting page for the operating system, if there is any. This is primarily intended for operating systems that rely on community QA. These settings are optional, and providing only some of these settings is common. These URLs are intended to be exposed in "About this system" UIs behind links with captions such as "About this Operating System", "Obtain Support" resp. "Report a Bug". The values should be in RFC3986 format[3], and should be http: or https: URLs, and possibly mailto: or tel:. Only one URL shall be listed in each setting. If multiple resources need to be referenced it is recommended to provide an online landing page linking all available resources. Examples: HOME_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/" and BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/" If you are reading this file from C code or a shell script to determine the OS or a specific version of it, use the ID and VERSION_ID fields, possibly with ID_LIKE as fallback for ID. When looking for an OS identification string for presentation to the user use the PRETTY_NAME field. Note that operating system vendors may choose not to provide version information, for example to accommodate for rolling releases. In this case VERSION and VERSION_ID may be unset. Applications should not rely on these fields to be set. Operating system vendors may extend the file format and introduce new fields. It is highly recommended to prefix new fields with an OS specific name in order to avoid name clashes. Applications reading this file must ignore unknown fields. Example: DEBIAN_BTS="debbugs://bugs.debian.org/" EXAMPLE
NAME=Fedora VERSION="17 (Beefy Miracle)" ID=fedora VERSION_ID=17 PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)" ANSI_COLOR="0;34" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:17" HOME_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/" SEE ALSO
systemd(1), lsb_release(1), hostname(5), machine-id(5), machine-info(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer NOTES
1. Announcement of /etc/os-release http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/os-release 2. Common Platform Enumeration Specification http://cpe.mitre.org/specification/ 3. RFC3986 format https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986 systemd 10/07/2013 OS-RELEASE(5)