Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Parsing a variable length record Post 56131 by Barb on Tuesday 28th of September 2004 11:18:05 AM
Old 09-28-2004
Here is a sample of the file - the '~ST' appears at the end of every record. What I need to pull out is the 5th field from the ~ST (fields are seperated by '^') based on the value of 855 or 856 in the 1st field. I know how to use awk to search for a character string and return values in fields on the line. But I have never had to start any of the editors with lines over multiple rows and fields all over the place. And a record can be any length. I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing data and retaining the full length of variable

Here's is an example of what I want to do: var1="Horse " var2="Cat " var3="Fish " for animals in "$var1" "$var2" "$var3" do set $animals pet=$1 ## Ok, now I want to get the values of $pet, but ## I want to retain the full length it was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: app4dxh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pivot variable record length file and change delimiter

Hi experts. I got a file (500mb max) and need to pivot it (loading into ORCL) and change BLANK delimiter to PIPE |. Sometimes there are multipel BLANKS (as a particular value may be BLANK, or simply two BLANKS instead of one BLANK). thanks for your input! Cheers, Layout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasr
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a variable length file

Hi I am new to shell scripting. I need to parse a file which contains the header and detail records and split into n of file based on dept ID, for ex. INPUT FILE: DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: XYZ EMPAddress: XYZZZ DEPT ID: 2 EMPNAME: ABC EMPAddress: ABCD DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: PQR EMPAddress:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check length of record

Hi, I have a problem, please help me, I have a flat file like this: P00000000088888888999999999 0000999903 000000000000000000 P00000000077777777000000000 0000999903 000000000000000000 P00000000044444444333333333 0000999903 00000000000000000079875 P00000000066666666111111111 0000999903 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record length

Hi, The record length may be differ in afile. I want to display the records if the record length is not equal to 50 using sed/awk command. Thanks in Advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NareshN
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
SHAPELIB(1)							   User Commands						       SHAPELIB(1)

NAME
dbfdump - dump xBase DBF files as text SYNOPSIS
dbfdump [-h] [-m] [-r] file DESCRIPTION
Dumps the contents of file to standard output. The first line contains the field names appearing in file, and each of the following lines contains the field values of a record. Field names and values are padded by spaces to their field widths. Empty fields are printed as the string "(NULL)". OPTIONS
-h Prints the column field definitions before other output. Each field definition consists of a line of the form Field: index, Type=type, Title=`name', Width=width, Decimals=precision where index is the zero offset column number of the field; the type indicates the datatype of the field value and is either "Inte- ger", "Real" or "String"; name is the field's name; width is the number of bytes reserved for the field's value; and precision is the number of decimal places of precision for "Real" type fields, and is zero for "Integer" and "String" type fields. -m Prints each record in multiline format separated by empty lines. The first line of a record gives the number of the record in the form Records: record_index where record_index is the zero offset number of the record in the file, and then each field of the record appears on its own line in the format name: value -r Prints the exact bytes occurring in file for field values and suppresses printing "(NULL)" for empty values. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful program execution. 1 Missing file argument. 2 Failed to open file. 3 There are no fields in file. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued on stdout: DBFOpen(file,"r") failed. There are no fields in this table! AUTHORS
Frank Warmerdam (warmerdam@pobox.com) is the maintainer of the shapelib shapefile library. Joonas Pihlaja (jpihlaja@cc.helsinki.fi) wrote this man page. BUGS
Unless the -r option is given, values in numeric fields that overflow the int or double types of the C language are printed as plus or minus a huge number. For integer fields the huge value is HUGE_VALL from <stdlib.h> and for real fields it is HUGE_VALF. SEE ALSO
dbf_dump(1), dbfcreate(1), dbfadd(1), shpadd(1), shpcreate(1), shpdump(1), shprewind(1) shapelib OCTOBER 2004 SHAPELIB(1)