Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers All right. ... (no Microsoft bashing, thanks) Post 56029 by CapsuleCorpJX on Friday 24th of September 2004 04:40:44 PM
Old 09-24-2004
Re: All right. Im sick of Mircosoft.

Unix is used mostly on company servers. And people usually use it using a command line. And the main function of Unix is usually as a server. It doesn't crash, but one of the reasons it doesn't crash is it doesn't have as many layers over its core function, and people don't go around installing useless non-business software on it.

Linux is very similar to Unix, except it is used more often as a personal OS, and has several GUI interfaces to it. However, I doubt many of your games or office apps will work on it. It will be even more of a pain finding video codecs or even playing DVDs on a Linux system.

For personal use, I suggest you stick with windows. If it is unstable, I bet its being strangled by spyware and viruses and worms.

If that is really your problem, let me know and I can tell you how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally posted by gc_wyo_dave
First off, this is as much as I know about Unix: its an operating system. Now, I know it goes a tad deeper than that, so first off, what exactly is Unix? Next, im freakin sick of everything microsoft crashing on me, so Id like to make Unix my OS, but I dont want to lose anything but internet explorer, outlook express, and windows XP. I have a lot of games, even more applications, norton internet security (which i just love), media players, photo viewers, ect. I want all of this to work, i just dont want windows. Is this at all possible?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashing of Fields then append!

Hi All, I;m a newbie here, Seeking for your assistance regarding on how to bash the 6th and 7th fields of file2 into 2th and 3rd fields of file1 then add fields in the last line of file2 if it's match, if not they will only display the records. Ex. File1 a,1,2,b,c,d,e,USA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikka
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashing of records in different file

Hi Everyone, Good Day, I'm a newbie on scripting, I would like to seek you for assistance regarding on how to bash the 1st file into 2nd file and output the match record. Sample: File1.csv JuanDelaCrus<tab>USA<tab>CANADA TwoDelaCrus<tab>SG<tab>California File2.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bashing of 2 Files

Hi Everyone, Seeking for your assistance on how to bash the file 1 to file 2 records and output the same records with specific field to display to file3. Example: Imagine we have many Files and records in File 1 and the File2 is only 1 file but many records. File1... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bashing of 2 files

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to bash 2 files and then print if the condition met. Ex. file1.txt: Field1 Field2 Field 3 Field 4 usa <blank> <blank> INDIA file2.txt: Field1 Field2 Field 3 Field 4 canada jap INDIA utah... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)

NAME
DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix - Convert DateTimes to/from Unix epoch seconds SYNOPSIS
use DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix; my $dt = DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->parse_datetime( 1051488000 ); # 2003-04-28T00:00:00 DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->format_datetime($dt); # 1051488000 my $formatter = DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->new(); my $dt2 = $formatter->parse_datetime( 1051488000 ); $formatter->format_datetime($dt2); DESCRIPTION
This module can convert a DateTime object (or any object that can be converted to a DateTime object) to the number of seconds since the Unix epoch. METHODS
Most of the methods are the same as those in DateTime::Format::Epoch. The only difference is the constructor. o new() Constructor of the formatter/parser object. It has no parameters. SUPPORT
Support for this module is provided via the datetime@perl.org email list. See http://lists.perl.org/ for more details. AUTHOR
Eugene van der Pijll <pijll@gmx.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003 Eugene van der Pijll. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
DateTime datetime@perl.org mailing list perl v5.10.1 2007-12-03 DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)